Analytical Automation Lead, Durham, NC/Gothenburg, Sweden - Operations
Do you have expertise in, and passion for analytical chemistry and automation? Would you like to apply your expertise to lead the transformation of our labs in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
This position can be based in Durham, NC (USA) or in Gothenburg, Sweden.
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
Inhalation Product Development (IPD) at AstraZeneca is a multinational organization that combines decades of experience in inhalation technology whether it is nebulisation, pMDI or DPI. We are part of AstraZeneca Operations, a truly world-class business unit which offers one of the most exciting, fast-paced, challenging and rewarding environments in the world of operations, supply chain and manufacturing. Our vision is to develop and provide to patients best-in-class, innovative and sustainable products to deliver medicine via inhalation.
We’re looking for a skilled and motivated automation specialist to join one of our analytical automation teams in Gothenburg, Sweden or in Durham, North Carolina, US. This is an exciting opportunity where you will take the lead in developing our labs, taking the next step into the future.
What you’ll do
You would work globally cross IPD and with our key partners at the manufacturing sites. Join a highly collaborative team developing solutions for automation to take analytical science and product development and testing to the next level of efficiency and innovation. We work with our inhalation portfolio from the early phases up to launch and transfer to the commercial manufacturing sites. You will be accountable for/or lead automation projects, primarily within IPD, write business cases and lead change management in conjunction with implementation of the new automated systems or software applications.
This is a specialist role where you will develop, maintain and deliver the global IPD automated testing strategy and work collaboratively with many colleagues. Driving and championing the implementation of automated workflows. You will get the opportunity to use your professional skills in a highly advanced research environment. Contributing to the progression of drug projects and drive the efficiency and scientific development within the field of pharmaceutical science at AstraZeneca.
Essential for the role
To be successful in this role you will need expertise in implementation of automation in a life science setting. Good skills in written and verbal communication and the ability to engage and collaborate across boundaries with a positive problem-solving attitude and delivery focus. Also, you are aware of demands on automation in terms of degree of flexibility, through put, documentation and rigor of validation needed for the different development phases.
- University degree (MSc, PhD) in relevant subject area, with industry experience and detailed understanding of analytical chemistry
- > 10 years’ experience of leading development and application of automated systems and software applications, both in a GxP and a non GxP environment and how to run organisational management and the deployment of these
- > 10 years’ experience of leading automation networks and multidisciplinary project teams including experience of you leading/managing teams
- Very good knowledge of solutions available for automation with extensive awareness of global automation suppliers and a record of leading supplier selections for both automated systems and services
- Strong awareness of the life cycle management process of automated systems with extensive knowledge and understanding of development and late stage/commercial requirements of automation including regulatory expectations related to validation of computerized systems
You have documented expertise in practical/hands-on implementation of automation (liquid handling robotics, sample preparation, bioassay automation etc.). Experience of pharmaceutical development is essential and you can show evidence of having lead and worked in a global organisation. You’ll need to be an inspirational leader with strong ambition to develop yourself and others. You should be ready to champion and drive automation with a strong customer focus and ability to identify automation opportunities.
Desirable for the role
- Experience from project management and process analysis
- Programming of automation software including knowledge of AI and how that can be implemented in automated systems
- Track record of driving scientific projects and business cases
Join the team where everyone feels a personal connection to the people that we impact. From our science labs to manufacturing at scale, we are committed to delivering at the highest quality. It’s inspiring and rewarding work, influencing every part of the product lifecycle to deliver life-changing medicines. To ultimately make people’s lives better – from patients and their families to all of us in society.
So, what’s next!
- Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Excellent! We have one seat available, and we hope it’s yours.
Curious to know more about the position, then contact Christina Fakt (Christina.Fakt@astrazeneca.com) or Shyamala Ivatury (firstname.lastname@example.org). Welcome with your application but no later than August 8th , 2021.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.