Senior Consultant - Information Engineer
Job Title: Senior Consultant - Information Engineer
Location:TRIL GTC Chennai
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
Department – Data & Analytics, R&D IT
R&D IT is a global IT capability supporting Drug Research and Drug Development. We are organized around 7 key capability areas: Business Partnering, Solution Delivery, Architecture, Application Support, Data & Analytics, Change & Operations, operating out of sites across the US, UK, Sweden, India and Mexico.
Data & Analytics provides analytics and data insight services and solutions critical to the Data & AI/ML emerging strategy and mission of R&D and AZ. D&A is organized into teams specializing in Information Architecture, Data Engineering and Data Science. You would be part of the Data Science team focusing on AI engineering (natural language processing, machine learning, deep learning and knowledge graph), Informatics, Information Science and Data Analysis).
We are looking for an Information Engineer to help us build intelligent applications that make use of our structured and unstructured data to derive key insights. As part of the AI engineering group, you will work together with ML engineers and data scientists on the state of the art approaches to support R&D.
We are building a global Competitive Intelligence platform and aims to provide industry-leading competitive intelligence across R&D and Commercial by maximizing the use of data and technology. The CI platform aims to use leading-edge technology to integrate key external and internal data sources through a combined build/buy platform to provide a competitive advantage for AstraZeneca.
You will be expected to develop strategies and workflows to integrate and model information across our internal and external data sources working closely with both IT colleagues and R&D scientists. You will do this by developing ontologies, knowledge graphs and data processing workflows that can help our scientists navigate and derive insights from the information. You will also have the opportunity to work closely with our NLP experts to develop new algorithms that extract meaning from unstructured content using state of the art, deep learning-based approaches.
In this role, besides making a meaningful impact to people's lives you will have the opportunity to engage with exciting drug development research and develop your understanding of how data science and artificial intelligence is applied to solve challenging technical and scientific problems.
The ideal candidate will possess a blend of technical coding skills, a good understanding of the use of ontologies to model information and semantically enrich data sources. Some experience of the healthcare or life science domain will be beneficial.
- Develop applications and workflows to enable semantic enrichment
- Develop vocabularies, ontologies and knowledge graphs to help model and integrate structured and unstructured data from across our external and internal data sources
- Work closely with engineering and platform teams to deliver a robust data layer to support applications. Including consistency checking, maintenance analysis and debugging.
- Work closely with data scientists, machine learning, engineering and platform teams to derive key insights from the data sources
- Help develop NLP and data processing workflows to extract key information from unstructured and semi-structured sources
Candidate Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- MS in Computer Science, Natural Language Processing, Semantic Web, Bioinformatics or similar field with 2+ years of experience developing data processing workflows, knowledge graphs, ontologies or NLP in industry
- Deep technical skills in 2 or more of the following areas: knowledge representation, reasoning, graphs, natural language processing, data integration, data engineering and ontology development
- Good experience with graph technologies, e.g., RDF(S), SPARQL, graph and triple-stores
- Experience with database technologies, RDBMS, NoSQL and Graph
- Good software development skills, with extensive knowledge of Python
- Working knowledge of cloud environment (AWS preferred), Hadoop/Spark
- Experience of working with unstructured data sources relevant to Drug Development. Specifically: Competitor Intelligence, clinical trials and scientific literature.
In addition, candidates will be expected to demonstrate:
- Good communication and facilitation skills
- Good written and verbal skills, fluent English.
- Be creative, collaborative, & product-focused.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.