Senior Consultant - ChemInformatician
Job Title: Senior Consultant - ChemInformatician
Location: TRIL GTC
AstraZeneca is a global biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. At AstraZeneca, we are proud to have an unusual workplace culture that encourages innovation and collaboration. We want you to express your diverse perspectives, contributing to an energized environment and providing creative ideas.
Department – Data & Analytics, S&EUIT
Data & Analytics provides analytics and data insight services and solutions critical to the Data & AI/ML emerging strategy and mission of Science & Enabling Unit IT (S&EUIT) and AZ. D&A is organized into teams specializing in Information Architecture, Data Engineering, Data Visualisation, Knowledge Management, Data Science, Data Analysis and Information Governance.
About the Role
Are you interested in being involved in a process that could benefit millions of patients? We want a cheminformatics scientist who engages in the most challenging informatics problems in the early drug discovery design-make-test-analyse (DMTA) process.
Be part of a close-knit and technical team of informaticians, data scientists, machine learning and knowledge engineers, delivering data workflows and informatics solutions which will advance the standard of healthcare. Our work will be applied to the full early science drug discovery project cycle improving access to data, the quality, and its use. We work with IT, other informatics professionals, chemists and scientists from all disciplines in direct support of AstraZeneca drug discovery projects. We seek to improve the quality of candidate drugs delivered by the early research projects across AstraZeneca!
The ideal applicant will possess a blend of early discovery science skills (e.g., chemistry, bioscience, DMPK, safety), knowledge of chemical structures, and early discovery scientific information. They will also have several years of experience in delivering informatics in a scientific environment and will have successful experience of integrating workflows and building quality applications related to DMTA. The team is involved directly in data wrangling, data analysis and problem solving with and on behalf of project teams and individuals. Good programming skills and familiarity with user-facing software tools and back-end infrastructure required to store, manipulate, prepare and present such information will be key. The ability to present complex problems, from the IT and science disciplines, in a simple and concise manner to understand implications and help bring insight is essential.
We will encourage you to work both as an individual contributor and with the wider team in delivering high quality outputs and support to the projects! Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of the field and ongoing developments in wider data science, that impact early discovery, will be essential to fulfilling the role.
- Work closely within the team and with scientific colleagues across AstraZeneca early science units to ensure informatics and advanced analytics solutions meet the ongoing needs of all scientists.
- Develop informatics solutions, e.g., using pipelining approaches, scripting and application integration to address key issues of the early science (DMTA) space.
- Contribute to and potentially lead local and global science IT/informatics projects in DMTA space.
- Understand and seek opportunities to apply artificial intelligence & machine learning to the world of chemistry and biology informatics.
- Seek solutions that streamline the data workflow across early science and ensure all scientists can access the right data required.
- Research external peers, academics and software providers to apply the latest methods to relevant business problems.
- Work closely with data scientists, machine learning, engineering and platform teams to utilize the latest algorithms to deliver improved data and information to early science project teams.
- Work with informatics colleagues in our Hub and Global Technology Centre (GTC) in Chennai to deliver high quality informatics solutions.
- Promote AstraZeneca’s informatics and data science reputation through external publications and presentations.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Masters / PhD in (chem)informatics or a pharmaceutical scientific discipline or similar field, with a demonstrable record of informatics delivery in a pharmaceutical/biotech setting.
- Experience working with relevant software and toolkits from vendors and providers such as Biovia, Perkin-Elmer, Chemaxon, Openeye, Dotmatics, Certara, Genedata, RDKit etc.
- Experience working directly with relevant vendors as above.
- DMTA cycle pipelining experience, e.g., Pipeline Pilot or Knime,
- Database and semantic proficiency and experience (e.g. Oracle, MySql, RDF/Triple stores/SPARQL, etc.)
- Knowledge of cloud environment and related technologies.
- Excellent communication skills and facilitation skills, ability to work with others to achieve objectives.
- Ability to explain complex methods and techniques to a non-technical audience.
- Good communication, written and verbal skills, proficient English.
In addition, we expect the candidate to:
- Exhibit influencing and innovation skills
The role will have no direct line reports, but task management responsibilities within project or services may occur
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.