Senior Imaging Data Scientist
Job Title: Senior Imaging Data Scientist
Locations: Gaithersburg (US), Cambridge (UK) or Gothenburg (Sweden)
Salary: Competitive salary and company benefits apply
Would you like to be a part of a Data Science & Artificial Intelligence (DS&AI) group who has direct strategic impact on drug development, playing a key role in getting medicines to patients?
At AstraZeneca, we are constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a real passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every single day.
AstraZeneca is looking to invest in the data management and analysis platforms underlying its existing and emerging drug discovery technology, through its long-term Growth Through Innovation Strategy. Within the new Data Science and AI Group, you will be working with colleagues to build data management and analysis foundations for the future.
The Data Science & AI team collaborates across R&D to drive innovation through data science and AI. Together we seek to:
- Improve our understanding of disease and uncovering new targets
- Transform R&D processes
- Speed the design and delivery of new medicines for patients
The AI and Analytics team within AstraZeneca’s R&D Data Science and AI group is where the great things happen in applying sophisticated algorithms and techniques to some of the hardest problems in the discovery and development of new medicines. The team uses a blend of scientific, problem solving, and quantitative skills to develop and deliver cutting-edge methods addressing critical problems in AstraZeneca’s R&D environment. Our team of data scientists work right next to our other scientists, allowing them to be close to the questions that matter and work on a broad range of the most promising opportunities quickly.
As a Senior Imaging Data Scientist, you will play a pivotal role in a growing team analysing various types of biomedical images and generating the insights from our complex data that brings innovative medicines to patients faster.
In this role, you will apply your expertise in computer vision, and machine learning to derive solutions to a range of problems in biomedical images. You will develop innovative and accurate algorithms for multiple therapeutic areas (Respiratory, Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolism) across several imaging modalities (Radiology, Pathology, Tissue Microarray, Microscopy, Mass Spec). You will be working in a highly multidisciplinary environment with world leading clinicians, data scientists, biological experts, statisticians and IT professionals.
Examples of the problems our team is working on include analysing histological characteristics, pairing multiple modalities such as H&E microscopy and Mass Spectrometry imaging, analysing lung radiomics images, images of diabetic retinopathy in sub-Saharan Africa, single-cell fluorescence, and more!
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides image analytics expertise to cross-functional AstraZeneca projects
- Delivers imaging data science solutions and appropriately communicating findings with non-technical stakeholders.
- Identify key opportunities where machine learning can create more value from biomedical images
- Keeps up to date with emerging data science methodologies and image processing techniques
- Provides solutions to a variety of imaging analytics problems
- Works within established frameworks to deliver a variety of tasks that support projects in meeting their objectives.
- MSc degree in rigorous quantitative science (such as mathematics, computer science, engineering)
- Hands on experience with Biomedical image analysis (eg: Radiology, Pathology, Tissue Microarray, H&E, Microscopy images, etc.)
- Experience in image segmentation, registration, de-noising, and feature extraction from multiple modalities.
- Strong knowledge and experience in convolutional neural networks and deep neural network architectures
- Practical software development skills in standard data science tools (such as R or python)
- A passion to apply machine learning to tackle difficult problems
Next Steps – Apply today
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.