Senior Bioinformatician, Quantitative Biology – Proteomics
At AstraZeneca we win through science, it’s at the heart of our every success. That science is only possible when we all work together – we’ll always make sure you’re clear about how your role is connected to our wider mission to really show what science can do. Your role in AstraZeneca, no matter where you work, helps to make the discoveries we achieve possible.
Are you a quantitatively-minded scientist looking for an exciting new challenge? Then why not join our Quantitative Biology team in Cambridge (UK) and apply bioinformatics and computational solutions to help us evolve and extend our proteomics capabilities in our drive to find medicines of the future.
We are further investing in capabilities in multi-omics (e.g. transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics) and you will join a multi-disciplinary team of data scientists with the purpose of providing quantitative insights to biology for discovery of new therapies. We do so by improving the biological understanding of the target and its engagement, including supporting the identification of molecular mechanisms of action, such as the effect of small molecules on protein target stability. Our group is committed to enhancing AstraZeneca’s ability to prioritize target selection and portfolio projects based on probability of technical success.
In our department we have a number of roles for our proteomics build that require individuals passionate about development and delivery of software solutions for data management, pipelines and processing through to data analysis and interpretation. These individuals will play a key role in supporting, driving and evolving our proteomics capabilities (thermal profiling, chemical proteomics, labelled and unlabelled mass spectrometry) and projects.
As a Senior Bioinformatician your main responsibilities will involve:
- You will Analyse quantitative high-resolution mass spectrometry (qHRMS) proteomics data for unbiased and targeted proteomics experiments.
- You’ll combine open-source and/or commercially available software platforms for enabling protein identification & annotation across multiple biosamples (e. cell lines and tissues).
- You will have responsibility for maintaining and developing our shiny application tools for chemical and global proteomics as well as training staff to use the developed tools.
- Understand quantitative multiplexed proteomics and chemo-proteomics workflows and data structure to efficiently integrate and/or develop automated data acquisition, processing, analysis and visualization protocols, with appropriate infrastructure and pipeline management tools.
- You will contribute to local and global data management processes and solutions for capturing and exploiting proteomics and other high-dimensional data types such as Transcriptomics and Genomics.
- You’ll Collaborate effectively with experimentalists, bioinformaticians, statisticians and other data scientists to design and deliver robust and impactful proteomics studies, via data processing, analysis and interpretation. This could include analysis of proteomics data in conjunction with other data types via statistical and machine learning approaches.
As a Senior Bioinformatician your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- PhD, or equivalent, in bioinformatics, mathematics, computer science, statistics, engineering or the life sciences
- Demonstrable experience in the core competency areas: Mass-spectrometry based proteomics, multivariate and/or high dimensional data analysis (-omics), data management and visualisation
- Basic understanding of molecular biology, cell biology, and human physiology
- Experience in other molecular profiling technologies (e.g. NGS) or multi-omics would be an advantage
Location: Cambridge, UK
Salary: Competitive + excellent benefits
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.