Research Informatics Scientist
At AstraZeneca, we are constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a real passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every single day.
AstraZeneca is looking to invest in the data management and analysis platforms underlying its existing and emerging drug discovery platforms, through its long term Growth Through Innovation Strategy. Within the new Data Science and AI Group, you will be working with colleagues to build data management and analysis foundations for the future.
We will be hiring for 4 positions at Informatics Associate Scientist II, or Informatics Scientist I/II level, depending on your experience. In this role, within Research Bioinformatics (Biologics) based at our Granta Park, Cambridge site, you will focus on developing software for both one-time analysis and robust, widely used scientific tools.
Combining biology and computer science, Research Bioinformatics works across Research aligned functions and beyond to understand biology, discover new therapeutics and develop new technologies.
If you’re encouraged by the possibilities of science to make a difference and ready to discover what you can do – join us.
- Model data & processes and architect systems to ensure, by design, any systems built are fit for purpose, usable, maintainable and manageable.
- Develop software for both one-time analysis and robust, widely used scientific tools.
- Using scientific knowledge and computational knowledge to deliver new insights on existing data.
- Directly work with colleagues across the organisation to create solutions for everyday problems.
- Mastering new technology and scientific thinking and applying it to deliver results.
- Contribute to development of standard methodology.
- Scientifically literate. Able to pick up new ideas and concepts quickly.
- Hands on experience with research and handling & analysis of scientific datasets is helpful.
For Scientist I/II:
- Able to engage directly with scientific colleagues outside the group based on proven scientific understanding.
- Track record of innovative research an advantage.
- Ability to build high-end software, working across the full life cycle, from requirements to roll-out and beyond.
- Ability to set up new data analysis or algorithms as part of a pipeline.
- Experience in creating and querying databases, data modelling and integration.
- Experience in test driven development and the use of version control, build automation, continuous integration and issue tracking tools.
For Scientist I/II:
- Experience in developing highly usable front-ends and in developing manageable, robust and performance server-side systems.
- Ability to lead new development projects and liaise with other team members and key business partners.
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and scientific colleagues alike, in formal presentations and small group meetings.
- Ability to deliver alone or within a team environment. Able to work effectively with internal colleagues and collaborate externally.
- Driven to provide high quality solutions, taking initiative in identifying potential problems before they occur and in identifying and managing risk.
- Thoroughness and tenacity in solving problems.
For Scientist I/II:
- Excellent analytic skills – able to see the underlying problem and synthesize transformative solutions.
Qualifications and Experience
- Strong degree level science based education essential.
- Postgraduate education in science, bioinformatics/system biology or computer science a distinct advantage.
- Proven ability to create high quality software.
- Experience working in the pharma/biotech industry or in biological academic research is an advantage.
Next Steps – Apply today
To be considered for this position, we ask you to please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a good fit, please share this posting with them.
Posting start date: 29/07/2019
Posting end date: 29/08/2019
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.