Product Design Lead - Digital Health R&D
Product Design Lead
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
Digital Health R&D’s ambition is to transform healthcare, powered by digital, science and partnerships, to deliver the healthcare outcomes and experience that patients care about the most. Now we are further accelerating our transformation efforts to ensure we demonstrate the best in new technology and leading-edge capabilities to keep us at the forefront of future drug development.
Digital Health R&D is reimagining how we work to position AstraZeneca as an industry leader, making the development & delivery of new medicines easier. We’re doing this by harnessing the latest innovations enabled by digital, data & analytics and working with our people to craft and build the technology and working practices.
AstraZeneca’s Digital Health R&D Patient Health & Innovation organisation develops digital solutions to support our development and commercial drug portfolios. These digital solutions (e.g. Unify) encompass connected monitoring devices and sensors coupled with medical device software to:
- Improve clinical development, through optimising data collection and improving communications between AZ, HCP and patients
- Provide enriched data sets to support regulatory submissions, and differentiated labelling
- Optimise real world medication use by patients and deliver digital interventions to improve clinical outcomes
As part of the Digital Health R&D the team will develop and execute AZ’s R&D Digital strategy. The program has already delivered the first versions of bespoke digital solutions for clinical trials globally, built on a standardized set of modules to enable identification and recruitment of patients, ongoing engagement and retention, support to sites and collection of data directly from patients.
What you’ll do
The design team aims to ensure that we design the right products, and that we design them right. We apply our broad skillsets across research, strategy, and design to the whole innovation and product development lifecycle, from opportunity identification to early-stage idea generation until detailed design of service features and user stories in digital products.
As a Product Design Lead, you will have primary responsibility for design outcomes on one or more projects, guiding a small team of designers and researchers, while collaborating closely with software and data engineering, product management, and scientific teams. You will work across every stage of the project lifecycle to ensure that product strategy and design choices fit with user needs and context of use. You will chart a path forward together with your team, even when information is ambiguous and the project challenging. You should be eager to involve all subject areas in the design process, highly responsive to feedback, and excited to present your team’s output in front of partners.
On a typical project you will:
- Lead the design team to achieve the highest level of performance without compromising timelines and team harmony
- Set the bar for design quality, with a deep understanding of the project goals, business requirements, underlying scientific foundations, and enabling technologies.
- Guide an end-to-end design process including foundational & evaluative research, insight articulation, experience model development (e.g., customer journeys, behavioural archetypes, service blueprints, etc.), product design and testing, from concept to shipped product.
- Create an inclusive, interdisciplinary design journey that takes advantage of the diverse perspectives and contributions of our product, technology, data, clinical and scientific teams.
- Participate hands-on in research and design activities with a “leading by doing” approach.
As a member of the design leadership team, you will also:
- Lead direct or dotted line reports, coach and mentor junior colleagues, providing guidance and support for their growth, and specific and meaningful feedback
- Participate in talent acquisition, either as a hiring manager, or member of hiring teams
- Represent and advocate for the value of design in your interactions with the wider organisation
- Supply to the continuous improvement of the digital health organisation and ways of working
- Professional design experience in a relevant specialisation (e.g., Visual Design, Interaction Design, Service Design, Design Research)
- Experience of hands-on design leadership, guiding the work of a design team and communicating with product, business, and technology teams.
- Multiple project experiences in the digital health domain.
- Proficiency with modern research, design and prototyping tools and methods
- Affinity with AstraZeneca’s values, and a passion for crafting digital health products that combine scientific rigor with design perfection.
- High peer, end-user, or client happiness with the work products that you crafted
- Strong leadership and collaboration skills, with the ability to guide robust teams using persuasion and influence (rather than command and control)
- Strong presentation and storytelling skills
- Willingness to travel for research, project delivery, and client meetings
- Business level ability in English
- A university degree in a relevant design, business, technology, or social science subject area
- Experience working in a variety of organisations (start-up, corporate, agency/consultancy)
- Academic, professional, or life experience from outside the design field that enriches your perspective as a designer
- Published thought leadership, with a track record of presenting and teaching in public forums and a social media presence.
- A second language (and every additional language is a plus!
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a phenomenal Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We’re on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what’s next?
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
- Are you ready to bring new insights and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available, and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
Competitive Salary & Benefits
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.