Global Advanced Analytics & Data Management Lead, Senior Director
At AstraZeneca, we're not afraid to do things differently. We're resetting expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, ground-breaking and cutting-edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together
Global Insights, Analytics & Commercial Excellence (GIACE) is a strategic function, critical for enabling success in the growth of the BBU business. Our ambition is to build an industry-leading organization, empowering our Commercial teams through the generation of compelling evidence and insights, while ensuring they have the tools and skills to deliver impactful launches that change the practice of medicine for the benefit of patients. Within GIACE, the Insights & Analytics function is organized across three teams and supports both the US and Global organizations: Respiratory Insights, CVRM Insights (Cardiovascular, Metabolic, Renal), and the Insights & Analytics Center of Excellence (CoE).
Candidate Focus and Challenge – Job Description
The Advanced Analytics Lead is expected to create a compelling vision for advanced analytics on how it can be used to drive the business and deliver against this. We are looking for a dynamic leader who can pioneer and embed leading-edge analytic techniques. The role will support the Biopharmaceutical Business Unit (BBU) in the identification, development and implementation of new capabilities, whether sourced internally or externally. This leader needs to be able to influence decisions at all levels of the organization across both the Global and US market.
The Advanced Analytics Lead will oversee a team of both internal and external analysts. The team supports all areas of the therapeutic areas of the BBU for both the ex-US and US organizations. The scope includes a wide variety of analytics, including areas such as promotional response modeling and prioritisation, machine learning algorithms to drive launches and predictive modelling to drive commercial efficiency and multifaceted marketing.
The Advanced Analytics Lead will require strong leadership, the ability to innovate, instill passion, inspire change, and of course a high proficiency in advanced analytics. Those who will qualify for this position should be able to add value to AstraZeneca's commercial organization beyond their analytical prowess through their understanding of secondary data, industry knowledge, and track record of innovative and impactful decision support.
- Crafting a compelling vision for advanced analytics and gaining alignment across the organization. Translating this vision into tangible deliverables with measurable impact to the business.
- Can lead the development, deployment, and embedding of advanced analytic capabilities across the organization. Can both deliver against existing capabilities and provoke/drive innovation in new areas where there’s a need or opportunity.
- Champion the use of local customer insight in strategic and resourcing decisions across the business.
- Develop a deep understanding of internal customers' data and analytical needs focusing on the customer-facing model leadership.
- Leading promotional response modelling (i.e., ROI) and prioritization capability for the organization.
- Identify and prioritize improvements and new advanced analytic capabilities. Develops and expanded portfolio of predictive modelling projects beyond promotional response.
- Collaborate with the US Sales Force Operations to ensure success of key business processes and coordination on joint initiatives
- Instills a culture of continuous improvement, testing, and deployment of new capabilities for the business.
- Develop innovative analytical practices to build and sustain a competitive advantage.
- Access appropriate information via a variety of tools and sources
- Summarize and present findings through various communication channels
- Responsible for recruiting, training, managing, mentor and developing a team of analysts
- Capability in applying deeper technical skills and knowledge that is shared across the functional area (e.g., deep knowledge of key data sets, modeling capabilities, etc.)
- Demonstrate a high level of understanding of the points of integration of our work and that of our colleagues.
- Supervises the external environment to stay up to date on leading analytic capabilities, both within and outside of pharma, which can be applied within the organization
Candidate Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- 10+ years of analytical experience, 7 years in Health Care Industry including experience in advanced analytics techniques and application. Experience in building, deploying, and embedding capabilities into an organization.
- 5 years’ experience in US Pharma Industry, making decisions on major drivers of product success, advising on drug development candidate process and Health Care environment.
- 3+ years’ experience in Global or ex-US Pharma Industry, making decisions on major drivers of product success, advising on drug development candidate process and Health Care environment.
- 5+ years’ experience utilising a range of analytics involving standard data in the Pharmaceutical Industry e.g. IQVIA (MIDAS, DDD NPA, Monthly Xponent), claims data (Truven, Marketscan), epidemiological data etc
- Reportable accomplishments around converting derived insight into strategic mentorship and developing this skill among direct reports
- Outstanding business acumen, strategic thinking and understanding of sales and marketing business practices
- Entrepreneurial attitude to impact leadership and high emotional intelligence
- Experience advising senior level executives, strong coaching and problem-solving skills
- Strong ability to influence laterally and vertically
- High degree of creativity and innovation in developing new approaches, processes and methodologies
- Strong market research and analytical expertise, excellent financial modelling and forecasting skills
- Proven track record to lead teams, influence cross-functionally and manage multiple, complex demands. Managed a group of at least 5-10 analytical staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field
- Advanced degree preferred (e.g., PhD / MBA / Masters in areas such as Statistics/Decision Sciences)
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.