Global Advanced Analytics & Data Management Lead, Senior Director
At AstraZeneca, we're not afraid to do things differently. We're resetting expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, ground-breaking and cutting-edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together.
AstraZeneca is organised around two core business units, BioPharmaceuticals (BBU) and Oncology. The BBU focuses on development and commercialisation of AstraZeneca’s Respiratory, Cardiovascular, Metabolic, Renal, and Infectious Disease therapeutic areas.
Global Insights, Analytics & Commercial Excellence (GIACE) is a strategic function, critical for enabling success in the growth of the BBU business. Our ambition is to build an industry-leading organisation, empowering our Commercial teams through the generation of compelling evidence and insights, while ensuring they have the tools and skills to deliver impactful launches that change the practice of medicine for the benefit of patients. Within GIACE, the Insights & Analytics function is organised across three teams and supports both the US and Global organisations: Respiratory Insights, CVRM Insights (Cardiovascular, Metabolic, Renal), and the Insights & Analytics Center of Excellence (CoE).
The aim of the Insights & Analytics Centre of Excellence is to establish industry-leading capabilities across the core areas of analytics, forecasting, reporting, business planning, and insight capabilities. It will demonstrate, reapply, and advance best practices in capabilities and operations from Global and US more broadly across geographies. In the area of advanced analytics, the ambition is to accelerate the development and application of advanced analytic methodologies such as machine learning and artificial intelligence to solve business problems. The CoE also seeks to scale and deploy these capabilities in a highly efficient manner so that continuous innovation can be pursued.
The Insight Teams and the CoE partner drive portfolio and brand strategy and performance. Together we strive to uncover deep customer insights in order to drive improved decision-making and business impact. We are looking for leaders who have the passion to drive business results and bring innovation to what we do for greater impact.
Candidate Focus and Challenge
You will provide leadership and strategic direction that delivers ambitious advantage through the application of end to end analysis and insight for the Global organisation. You are a dynamic leader who can pioneer and embed leading-edge analytic techniques, and generate local market knowledge which lead to outstanding fact-based decision-making. You will support the BBU in the identification, development and evaluation of new practices. You will be able to identify, develop and lead the implementation of new analytic capabilities across the organisation.
You will motivate a team of internal analysts, who are a critical complement and partner to the brand Insight teams. You will work day-to-day to support the analytics that guide portfolio and brand strategy, planning, and performance management. The team supports all areas of the BBU -- Respiratory, CVRM, Infections Disease – (e.g., Early and Full Development of new products and lifecycle management). The scope includes a wide variety of analytics, including understanding drivers of performance, segmentation, customer and patient analyses, analyses for patient affordability programs, mentorship on promotional response and resource allocation, and other ad hoc analytics. You will also have responsibility for Global field force effectiveness, serving as the business owner for our field-based platforms, and global data management, enabling a data strategy to enable our global analytics capabilities.
You will have marketing and research experience and deep quantitative technical skills combined with outstanding interpersonal skills. You will be both technically sound and have the ability to be a dedicated internal consultant, adding value to AstraZeneca's commercial organisation beyond your analytical prowess through your understanding of secondary data, industry knowledge, and track record of creative and impactful decision support.
- Develop a deep understanding of internal customers' data and analytical needs focusing on the customer-facing model leadership
- Define and implement a Global Advanced Analytics, CRM, and data management strategy. Collaborate with the Global Commercial organisation and also local Market organisations to ensure alignment and business impact.
- Collaboration with other key business partners, such as IT and the Global Commercial Digital & Innovation organisations, to deliver solutions.
- Identify and prioritise improvements and new analytic capabilities. Can lead the development, deployment, and embedding of such capabilities across the organisation.
- Instills a culture of continuous improvement, testing, and deployment of new capabilities for the business.
- Develop innovative analytical practices to build and sustain competitive advantage.
- Access appropriate information via a variety of tools and sources
- Summarise and present findings through various communication channels
- Responsible for recruiting, training, managing, mentoring and developing a team of analysts
- Capability in applying deeper technical skills and knowledge that is shared across the functional area (e.g., deep knowledge of key data sets, modeling capabilities, etc.)
- Demonstrate a high level of understanding of the points of integration of our work and that of our colleagues.
- Monitors the external environment to stay up to date on leading analytic capabilities, both within and outside of pharma, which can be applied within the organisation.
- This role has direct reports, expected to be 4-5 internal analysts plus management of internal support and/or external contractors.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Solid analytical experience, gained in the Healthcare industry including experience in advanced analytics techniques and application. Experience in building, deploying, and embedding capabilities into an organisation.
- Solid Pharma industry experience, preferred with ex-US and US experience, making decisions on major drivers of product success, advising on drug development candidate process and Health Care environment.
- Experience in Global or ex-US Pharma Industry, making decisions on major drivers of product success, advising on drug development candidate process and Health Care environment.
- Extensive experience utilising a range of analytics involving standard data in the Pharmaceutical Industry e.g. IQVIA (MIDAS, DDD NPA, Monthly Xponent), claims data (Truven, Marketscan), epidemiological data etc
- Reportable accomplishments around converting derived insight into strategic guidance and developing this skill among direct reports
- Outstanding business acumen, critical thinking and understanding of sales and marketing business practices
- Ambitious mindset to impact leadership and high emotional intelligence
- Experience advising senior level executives, strong mentoring and problem-solving skills
- Strong ability to influence laterally and vertically
- High degree of creativity and innovation in developing new approaches, processes and methodologies
- Strong market research and analytical expertise, excellent financial modelling and forecasting skills
- Proven ability to lead teams, influence cross-functionally and prioritise multiple, complex demands. Led a group of at least 5-10 analytical staff.
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field
- Advanced degree preferred (e.g., PhD / MBA / Masters in areas such as Statistics/Decision Sciences)
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.