Genomics Data & Analysis Engineer - SEUIT
At AstraZeneca every one of our employees makes a difference to patient lives everyday.
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
Department – Data & Analytics, S&EUIT
Science and Enabling Units IT is a global IT capability supporting Drug Research, Drug Development, Product & Portfolio Strategy, Medical Affairs, Finance, HR, Compliance, Legal and Global Business Services. We are organized around 7 key capability areas: Business Partnering, Solution Delivery, Architecture, Application Support, Data & Analytics, Change & Operations, operating out of sites across the US, UK, Sweden, India and Mexico.
Data & Analytics provides analytics and data insight services and solutions critical to the Data & AI/ML emerging strategy and mission of S&EUIT and AZ. D&A is organized into teams specializing in Information Architecture, Data Engineering, Visual Engineering, Knowledge Management, Data Science, Data Analysis and Information Governance.
The role holder should deliver tangible and measurable value to S&EUIT stakeholders by taking a technical role in the delivery of both large and small genomics projects. They will undertake a range of activities including business requirements analysis, solution design, agile project leadership, analytics, testing and importantly software engineering itself for genomics data engineering solutions. The D&A Engineer will identify opportunities for innovation in their delivery, leveraging emerging technologies and methodology best practices externally and internally to improve delivery performance and team capabilities. They will work closely with D&A Info architects and D&A Engineering colleagues in Chennai in the delivery of high quality engineered D&A solutions. They will work with Genomics stakeholders, Genomics Data Scientists, Bioinformatics Scientists and with wider IT to deliver performance and cost optimised capabilities for the storage, retrieval, processing, query and analytics of genomics data to the business.
Key Accountabilities for the BI Information Architect
- Provide D&A solution engineering (ETL, ODS, Marts, Hadoop, Reports) support to Genomics projects requiring D&A solutions, including design, implementation and testing activities.
- Deliver cost effective, automated solutions in the genomics space to include orchestration of data processing pipelines, frameworks for advanced analytics of genomics data and tools for Data Scientists and Bioinformatic Scientists for data interpretation.
- Deliver robust D&A solutions to support frequently asked business questions/analytical demands.
- Innovate and test new technologies as they emerge with relevance to genomics and big data, including POCs, assessments and business case development
- Support D&A solution evaluation and selection decisions; buy vs. build decisions, and early-phase project estimates which contribute to the creation of business case.
- Support the development of engineering standards, roadmaps (1-5 years) and blueprints for S&EUIT, working closely with Solution Architects
- Undertake business analysis and business process analysis as part of solution design process
- Support solution development efforts through active contribution to the D&A software engineering effort (writing code).
- Test and quality assess new D&A solutions, to ensure they are fit for release: code assurance, Unit and System Integration Testing, Data testing, release management control and support of UAT processes.
- Maintain an on-going professional development in analytics and D&A technologies (and methodologies)
- Ensure that business data and information assets are made available as data services and artefacts for consumption by the wider AZ enterprise.
- Establish strong working relationships with S&EUIT stakeholder groups to develop an in-depth understanding of business priorities and early insight into changing needs in order to inform and shape demand.
Candidate Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience in D&A Engineering
- Ideally some genomics domain knowledge and experience
- BSc / MSc in Computer Science
- Experience of working with a range of BI & analytics architectures: traditional warehousing, Distributed computing (Hadoop), NoSQL, virtualization, data streaming, container technology (Docker) etc.
- Experience with & knowledge in key D&A tools used within AZ: Talend Data Services, Talend Metadata Manager, Talend Data Preparation, PostgresSQL, Microstrategy, Spotfire, Oracle OBIEE
- Experience with and knowledge in AWS Cloud services: AWS Lambda, AWS DynamoDB, AWS IAM, AWS Cognito, AWS Cloud formation, AWS Aurora, AWS Redshift, AWS EMR/Hive
- Experience with and knowledge in a broader base of open source distributed computing tools: Apache Spark, Apache Zookeeper, Apache Cassandra, Apache Solr, Apache Mesos, Clickhouse.
- Experience and familiarity with Information Architecture models and artefacts.
- Experience of working with data scientists and their methods: understanding of how data needs to be prepared for use by data scientists. Experience with genomics data preferred.
- Experience of delivering D&A Solutions within IT projects delivered through Agile and Waterfall methodologies.
- Experience in Test Driven Development, Unit testing, Integration Testing, Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment.
In addition, candidates will be expected to demonstrate the following Leadership Skills
- Business Leadership – ability to partner and collaborate across both IT and Science teams to inform on the best Information Architecture.
- Influencing and innovation skills
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills
- Good written and verbal skills, fluent English.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.