Director, Artificial Intelligence Delivery & Engagement
Director, Artificial Intelligence Delivery & Engagement
Cambridge UK, Gothenburg SWE, Gaithersburg US
Competitive Salary + Benefits
Make a more meaningful impact to patients’ lives around the globe
Here you’ll have the chance to create a meaningful difference to patients’ lives. With science at its heart, this is the place where breakthroughs born in the lab become transformative medicines – for the world’s most sophisticated diseases.
Answer unmet medical needs by pioneering the next wave of science, focusing on outcomes and shaping the patient ecosystem. With our ground-breaking pipeline, the outlook is forward-thinking. Be proud to be part of a place that has achieved so much, yet is still moving forward.
There’s no better time to join our global, growing enterprise as we lead the way for healthcare and society.
Our inquisitive culture is uniquely open and collaborative. Here, you’ll be surrounded by forward-thinking minds from a diverse set of backgrounds who think differently about the world. We are passionate about data – taking pride in our work and our common set of high-standards. A place to learn and develop new skills through direct exposure to world leaders in science, medicine and data science.
The AI and Analytics team within Astrazeneca’s R&D Data Science and AI group is where the great things happen in applying sophisticated algorithms and techniques to some of the hardest problems in the discovery and development of new medicines.
The team demonstrates a blend of scientific, problem solving, and quantitative skills to develop and deliver cutting-edge methods addressing critical problems in Astrazeneca’s R&D environment. Our team of data scientists work right next to our other scientists, allowing them to be close to the questions that matter and work on a broad range of the most promising opportunities quickly.
The role of Director, Artificial Intelligence Delivery and Engagement is responsible for developing and ensuring the successful delivery of a portfolio of AI projects across one or more R&D therapeutic areas (TAs).
You will serve as the primary AI and Analytics point-of-contact to therapy area partners, exchange information, co-ordinate the generation of new analytical projects and serve as a consultant for AI and data science needs.
You will coordinate with data and AI scientists, R&D partners, clinical study teams and more to find opportunities and solutions for a multitude of sophisticated problems. You will be responsible for ensuring that the AI/data science solutions are well crafted and structured, and that the portfolio of activities is in line with the department’s strategic priorities.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as the primary AI and Analytics point-of-contact for one or more therapeutic areas as your key domain(s), as a partner and champion, acting to understand their research strategies, business goals and/or analytical needs.
- You will promote AI and Analytic capabilities within the designated domain(s).
- Assess (feasibility, readiness to deliver, priority, etc) advise, guide and support partners on how to best access and demonstrate department services and capabilities.
- You will support and be responsible for the delivery of projects for the AI and Analytics organisation.
- Engagement with R&D leaders to develop analytical opportunities, including in TAs such as respiratory and immunology, neuroscience, microbial sciences, as well as shared services such as DevOps, CPSS, CMO, BPD and Discovery Sciences.
- Agree project plans including activities, resources, costs, roles, responsibilities and quality assurance.
- Plan and lead two-way interactions between leadership groups to strengthen relationships, drive and steer collaborations around your domain(s).
- Support data science Tiger Teams in the engagement and delivery of their projects (roadmap, progress, partners, etc).
- Provide reports and presentations on your domain area(s) regarding strategic developments, service offerings, value-realization, and key opportunities in line with R&D priorities.
- Coordinate with other areas on interdependencies, including IT, Data Office and Data Infrastructure and Tools organisations
- Follow project work plans and recommends revisions as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements
- Manage relationships with key business partners to ensure business requirements are optimally captured and committed to project objectives
- Ensure that impact and changes resulting from projects/programmes are effectively communicated to the business
- Develop and maintain a multi-functional network and foster collaborations within AstraZeneca and potentially collaborators outside of AstraZeneca.
- Foster a culture of customer focus and performance
- Undergraduate degree
- Significant experience working in pharmaceuticals R&D, medical research, life sciences, or related scientific industries.
- Experience in connecting clinical and biological specialists with technical and analytical teams
- Knowledge of AI capabilities and services
- Excellent networking skills, decisiveness, conflict management and negotiation skills as well as analytical thinking
- Strategic and conceptual attitude paired with excellent project management skills
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work in multi-functional, international and inter-cultural teams
- Expertise and experience in AGILE management is preferred
- Experience of leading large sophisticated projects/programmes or in a similar role
- Ability to influence at senior level
- Experience of working with third party suppliers
Why we love it
If your passion is science and you want to be part of a team that makes a bigger impact on patients’ lives, then there’s no better place to be. Here we truly understand science and apply it every day to strengthen and grow our pipeline.
So, what’s next?
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
- Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
- We open this role from 17/09/2021 and welcome with your application no later than 17/10/2021
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.