Diagnostic Data Scientist
In AstraZeneca we are on a journey to become a data-led enterprise with a solid and ambitious investment in R&D. We’re capitalising like never before in our people, in growth, in pursuing excellent science and adopting new technologies.
Scientists at AstraZeneca are working every day to turn science fiction into science fact. Our dream - to develop innovative, targeted medicines for every patient that needs them - and to match those treatments to patients most likely to benefit from them – is now becoming a reality. This approach, known as Precision Medicine, is based on those individual characteristics that make some patients respond to treatment better than others. We use this knowledge to develop diagnostic tests that medical experts can use to help prescribe the best treatment for each patient. Indeed, it’s now become common practice for patients with cancer to be offered such diagnostic tests before their treatment plan is agreed.
The Diagnostic Science group within Precision Medicine transforms data and innovative technologies into future diagnostic options to match patients’ needs. We are a cross-functional group deeply focused in enabling digital, data-driven diagnostics that match AstraZeneca’s business needs of today and of the future.
We are seeking a Diagnostic Data Scientist to join the group.
In this role you will establish an innovation framework to enable effective scouting, evaluation and partnering with next generation diagnostic and data/AI companies. You will also support the business by developing and managing workflows that enable fast turn-around times of diagnostic data for patient selection. You will be central to create an ecosystem with innovative diagnostic companies.
As part of your job, you will:
- Develop cloud-based solutions and federated learning architectures to ensure diagnostic data access for the development, evaluation and benchmarking of diagnostic algorithms for patient selection
- Drive implementation of automated end-to-end solutions for processing of genetic and imaging data for patient selection
- Manage existing and newly created pipelines to ensure business continuity in collaboration with AZ IT
- Develop and implement infrastructure to process upcoming diagnostic data types (e.g. epigenetic data, CRISPR-based diagnostics) and facilitate good quality data to build diagnostic plug-and-play solutions
- Scout, evaluate and develop an ecosystem of companies and academic institutions providing high quality molecular, imaging, and clinical diagnostic data sets
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- PhD or MSc plus demonstrated experience, in fields of computer science, engineering, physics, computational biology, computational chemistry or similar with a strong emphasis in data analysis, hypothesis generation and data integration. We will specially value a strong emphasis on large-scale data manipulation and orchestration.
- Proven experience in developing and operating production-ready software, e.g. you had a decisive role in developing large applications written in computer languages such as Python, Scala, Java, Go, etc.
- Proven experience in integrating cloud-based solutions for large-scale data integration and manipulation. Experience in both SQL and NoSQL databases is highly desirable.
- Experienced in using collaborative software development tools such as Git, Confluence or JIRA, in conjunction with Agile or Agile-like methodologies.
- Effective communication, you can translate business requirements into technical requirements and drive their implementation.
- Work experience in dynamic and cross-functional teams.
- Experience or good understanding of software containerization technologies
- Experience in developing or deploying machine learning solutions.
- Contributions to open source projects, well networked with external communities of data scientists, software developers or similar.
- Proven ability with experience in a similar role, ideally within pharmaceuticals, biotech or diagnostics industry but candidates with a relevant experience in an academic background would be considered
Location: Cambridge, UK or Gothenburg, Sweden
Closing Date: 29th February 2020
Next steps, if you feel you are suitable please apply!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.