Senior Data & Analytics Engineer
AstraZeneca is a global biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. Our growth platforms are doing deeply well, and the impact of our older products decline is reducing. We have a strong pipeline of potential new medicines, so we can be confident in our ability to sustain growth for years to come and make an even bigger difference to patients around the world.
At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a workplace culture that encourages innovation and teamwork. Our vision of an outstanding place to work is one in which all our employees are engaged and encouraged by a clear shared purpose and a compelling strategy; where they are encouraged to perform and develop to their full potential; and where they are supported by the right organisation design, culture, technology and processes.
As a Data & Analytics engineer you will support solution development, provide technical leadership, and take responsibility for delivery. You are a data professional with a broad range of experience of across data & analytics, with significant depth in at least one technical area. You will work almost exclusively with AWS services. The team delivers cloud solutions, such as the development of auto-scaling data integration and an analytic platform. Similarly, we have built an automated cloud ETL test harness which integrates with our evolving CI/CD processes. We have an exciting pipeline of work, so you might be developing a data hub processing terabytes of clinical trial data, the world’s largest genomics platform, a federated reporting capability, a new tax analytics platform, or improvements to any of our existing analytics solutions.
You will join a team of engineers who work closely with IT colleagues in UK, US, Sweden, India and Mexico. We have business partners and team members spread globally, so you would need a reciprocal delivery approach to be successful. We prefer to use Agile, but choose the appropriate approach for the project. You will be a leader throughout our software development lifecycle, from the initial development of a technical design based on agreed architecture, right through to service.
Do you have a real passion for delivering well engineered data and analytics solutions?
If you would like to discuss flexible working or part-time working, we would be happy to hear from you.
- Define effective ways of end-to-end delivery of our data and analytics platform, drive visualisation strategy to enable specific insights for better business decisions.
- Direct a team of data and reporting engineers focused on developing groundbreaking visualisation and computational capabilities for our big data platform.
- Be hands on within the scrum team on a day-to-day basis, continually inspecting and crafting the backlog in response to the changing business requirements or technical discoveries/POCs.
- Challenge the norm, and push the team to forget the easy route and go after the impossible.
- Lead technology processes from concept development to completion of project work you're doing.
Desirable technical skills & experience
- Experience of working with a range of data & analytics architectures: distributed computing (Hadoop/Spark), NoSQL, virtualization, data streaming, container technology (Docker), traditional warehousing etc.
- In-depth knowledge and experience of the Big Data ecosystem. This might include: HDFS, Hadoop, Parquet, Spark, Spark streaming, HBase, HIVE, PIG, Presto, Sqoop, Mesos etc.
- Experience with and knowledge in AWS Cloud services. We currently use EMR, SQS, Kinesis, Lambda, DynamoDB, IAM, Cognito, Cloud formation, Aurora, Redshift, Glue etc.
- Experience of building scalable high availability analytics solutions,
- Experience in DevOps, using continuous integration and continuous development (we use Jenkins, Nexus, Git),
- Experience of data analysis – profiling, investigating, interpreting and documenting data structures,
- Familiarity with data modelling techniques and hands on modelling experience (our relational databases are third normal form and star schema),
- Agile practices, especially being a SCRUM Master
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.