Associate Director, Statistical Innovation
Associate Director, Statistical Innovation
Cambridge (UK) or Gothenburg (Sweden)
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity, even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. Our Oncology Biometrics department is an integral part of the Oncology R&D organisation.
We drive excellent design in order to generate the appropriate data needed for quality decision making. The goal of Oncology Biometrics is to deliver value to the pipeline by excellence in delivery, improved decision making and engaging and shaping the external environment whilst accessing and implementing innovative solutions.
You will sit within our Statistical Innovation group in Oncology Biometrics (OBM) department, which is a methodological hub for statistical design and analysis of clinical trials. Working as part of Data Science and Analytics (DSA), you’ll be able to access technology at the forefront of science in an innovative environment, where you will have the scope to develop creative statistical ideas and approaches, and to apply them in your work.
Main duties and responsibilities
Joining a team of statistical methodology experts, you will provide key input as you work to find solutions to problems at critical stages in the drug development cycle. This is exciting and technically challenging work in a dynamic and constantly changing landscape. Your key focus will be on producing pragmatic solutions, often within a tight time scale where the emphasis will be to deliver first, then refine and develop your solutions thereafter.
You will contribute to, or lead capability build in more than one of the following statistical areas: Clinical trial design and analysis, exploratory and secondary analysis of clinical trial and EHR data, estimands, missing Data, Bayesian analysis, observational studies, statistical methods in HTA and health economics. You will also provide expert consultancy on key issues for fellow statisticians working in our therapeutically aligned statistics groups, as well as medical scientists and other key roles across the business. This will involve partnership both internally and externally with equivalent role in Biopharma R&D Unit leading and participating in strategic activities such as capability build projects, which can directly impact improvements to the way clinical trials are designed and analysed in AstraZeneca. As well as developing and implementing new methodology, interacting with external scientists and regulators, through publications, presentations and cross-industry collaborations. There will also be a focus proactively identify new areas where Statistical Innovation can add value, developing collaborative relationships with the external scientific/academic community.
Note: The level of the position will be determined through the Interview Process where Skills, experience and capabilities can be demonstrated and evaluated.
- MS or PhD in Statistics, Biostatistics or Mathematics or a related discipline, followed by experience of independent academic research and/or clinical drug development
- Documented ability of delivering innovative statistical solutions in an applied environment related to at least one of the following areas: analysis of clinical trial and EHR data, survival modeling and analysis, Bayesian analysis, cancer epidemiology.
- Strong knowledge of programming in R and/or SAS
- High level of competence in global and cross-skilled collaborative working
- Track record of research and methodological development in Statistics, supported by scientific publications in first class statistical journals
- Desire to apply your scientific competence on practical problems, for the benefit of patients
- Knowledge / research experience in the development of statistical methodology related to the analysis of large-scale health database, dose finding and escalation in clinical trials, meta-analysis, Bayesian statistics, longitudinal modelling.
- Broad awareness of statistical issues against the evolving scientific and regulatory landscape. Experience with oncology drug development.
In addition to be considered for appointment at the more senior level, the documented ability to deliver innovative statistical solutions should be in at least 2 of the areas listed above or be a recognised expert in one of these areas and an extensive publication record would be expected.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.