Head of AI Platforms & Services (IGNITE)
Head of AI Platforms & Services (IGNITE)
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, AI ? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? If so, AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation driven BioPharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The AstraZeneca Global IT organization is responsible for defining and implementing digital and data strategies across the corporation in support of AstraZeneca’s bold ambitions to provide cures for cancer in every form, to transform the lives of people affected by rare diseases and devastating conditions, and to change the lives of billions of people living with chronic diseases for the better.
We are seeking a dynamic and transformational leader to drive the development and deployment of AI, visualization, and knowledge insights platforms. In addition, this leader will design and deliver critical set enterprise AI services that will accelerate the delivery of data science across the enterprise. The ideal candidate will have a passion for demonstrating AI, visualization, and knowledge insights technologies to drive business innovation and growth.
As Head of AI Platforms & Services you will lead a team of 100+ AI, visualization, and knowledge insights experts to deliver innovative and high-quality enterprise platforms and services. You will be responsible for the design, development, and deployment of AI platforms and solutions including scalable AI engines, ML operations, knowledge graph and insights visualization platforms. You will also be responsible for delivering enterprise technology solutions such as custom developed executive visualization dashboards, enterprise knowledge graph driven applications, AI catalogue, and reusable AI services such as natural language processing, optimization, computer vision, and generative AI. You will be driving force behind the development of new knowledge insights, visualization, and AI solutions, and the integration of AI technologies into existing systems and processes.
Preferred location for this role is Barcelona/Spain. Other key AstraZeneca business locations may be considered for qualified internal candidates.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for enterprise AI, visualization, and knowledge insights platforms and services that aligns with the company's overall business goals and objectives.
- Influence, partner, and closely collaborate with senior collaborators and executives in multiple business units across the enterprise.
- Develop and lead a large 80+ member team of AI, visualization, and knowledge insights experts to deliver innovative and high-quality enterprise platforms and services.
- Oversee the design, development, and deployment of enterprise AI, visualization, and knowledge insights platforms and solutions that enable data-driven decision-making and empower employees across the organization to access, discover, and apply information more effectively.
- Lead the delivery of enterprise knowledge graph platform and enterprise AI platform products, demonstrating pioneering techniques in natural language processing, machine learning, and other relevant technologies to provide innovative, scalable, and high-quality products and services.
- Drive the development and implementation of reusable AI services such as natural language processing, computer vision, and optimization, ensuring that they are scalable, efficient, and deliver high-quality results.
- Spearhead the research, development, and implementation of generative AI technologies to create innovative and radical solutions that enhance business operations, advance science, accelerate product launches, and improve how we support our patients.
- Lead the delivery of custom developed enterprise visualization products, ensuring they meet or exceed partner expectations, are visually compelling, and provide valuable insights to support data-driven decision-making.
- Stay ahead on the latest trends and developments in AI technologies and services, and provide thought leadership to both internal and external partners.
- Collaborate closely with technology leaders, enterprise architecture, data offices, and program teams to ensure alignment of AI, visualization, and knowledge insights strategies and initiatives with broader business and technology strategies; maintain a deep understanding of business and technology requirements, constraints, and opportunities.
- Ensure AI, visualization, and knowledge insights platforms and solutions are scalable, reliable, user-centric, and meet the needs of partners across the organization, including business users, data analysts, and executives.
- Build and maintain a strong talent pipeline of AI experts and provide mentorship to team members to help them develop their potential and grow professionally.
- Foster a culture of inclusivity, collaboration, and continuous improvement, empowering team members to develop and apply their skills and talents to achieve individual and team goals, while promoting a sense of belonging and well-being.
- Develop and manage the global budget and forecasting process for the team, ensuring that financial targets are met, risks and opportunities are identified and communicated, and resources are allocated effectively to support the team's objectives.
- Act as an active member of a cross-discipline leadership team to collaboratively develop and complete an integrated set of objectives that align with the company’s overall strategy, ambition, vision, and values.
- Provide thought leadership and drive innovation across the broader organization.
Ensure compliance with all relevant laws, regulations, and industry standards.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED?
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, data science, or related field.
- Extensive experience in a technical field.
- Extensive experience leading large technical teams.
- Experience delivering scaled AI platforms and solutions, with a strong track record of success.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully leading and managing large matrixed teams in a global work environment, with the ability to navigate ambiguity, uncertainty, and stressful situations.
- Proven people management skills, with a strong ability to mentor and develop technical talent and build a hard-working team.
- Expertise in AI technologies such as machine learning, natural language processing, and computer vision.
- Experience with Agile development methodologies and DevOps practices.
- Strong knowledge of cloud computing platforms, such as AWS, Azure, and open-source technologies.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to quickly identify and address complex issues.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic plans.
- Ability to communicate effectively and comfortably in front of large audiences, with experience in delivering presentations and facilitating interactive dialogue.
WHY JOIN US?
We’re a network of entrepreneurial self-starters who contribute to something far bigger. There’s a diversity of expertise in our Technology group that’s unique to AstraZeneca – it allows us to dive deep into
exploring new groundbreaking technology. We enable AstraZeneca to perform at its peak by delivering world-class technology and data solutions. Our work unlocks the potential of science. We optimise and evolutionise AstraZeneca by maximising efficiencies and finding new ways to drive productivity. From automation to data simplification. We’re not afraid to take ownership and run with it. Empowered with unrivalled freedom. A place to be open and transparent – we speak up, think creatively and share ideas. Our diverse contributions help us to make better decisions. But we have a constant drive to innovate,
and an appreciation for high standards. It takes challenging the status quo to contribute in our ever-evolving environment. We love it here because put simply, we make a meaningful impact.
Technology at AstraZeneca is a home for purposeful disruptors!
SO, WHAT’S NEXT?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we’d love to hear from you! Click the link to apply and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
Competitive salary & benefits on offer.
Open date 26/05/23
Close date 09/06/23
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.