Global Development Imaging Scientist
The Clinical Imaging Scientist (“CIS”) will provide strategic and technical expertise on the conception and implementation of imaging strategies in all phases of clinical development (Phase I-III) within the Oncology portfolio. The role is focused on implementation of standard methodology imaging and tumor assessment for key primary, secondary and exploratory efficacy endpoints. The CIS will have expertise in common tumor response assessment algorithms, including RECIST 1.1, immune-related RECIST, RANO, etc., and how they are deployed in a clinical trial.
A key responsibility of the role is supporting sophisticated and cutting-edge clinical targeted drug development programs by improving imaging and tumor assessment processes within clinical research or developing and introducing new technologies and approaches at the national, regional or global level, consistent with AstraZeneca and Regulatory standards.
CIS will interface strategically and operationally with other functional areas including medical development, clinical operations, data management, statistics, and regulatory affairs. CIS will liaise with both the internal clinical teams and external CROs where applicable. CIS will work closely with clinical development teams, providing training, teaching, and consistent troubleshooting. Where there is a new requirement for imaging data collection, the CIS will define with the drug project team efficient tumor assessment data collection methods and will support the AstraZeneca team with internal standard development and consistent implementation by clinical and imaging CROs for independent central review across the suite of studies requiring the assessment.
Crucial for the role
- Bachelor of Science/Arts degree in related discipline, preferably in medical or biological science.
- M.D degree or a PhD degree. Strong preference for individuals with clinical training in oncology. Masters Degree with 2 years of experience.
- Imaging related degree and/or professional training preferably with practical clinical experience related to immuno-oncology/oncology imaging, either radiographic, medical or physical science based.
- Extensive experience in supporting Oncology clinical trials across phases I-III with the delivery of imaging components will be considered as an alternative to formal qualifications in this field.
- Good communication and influencing skills with the ability to work interactively within multidisciplinary teams.
- Focus on timely delivery of high-quality imaging results with a proactive, flexible approach.
- Understanding of the Blinded Independent Centralized Review process at external imaging CROs, including common review paradigms, radiologist reviewer analysis application and eCRFs, and operational and regulatory documents including Independent Review Imaging Charters.
Desirable for the role
- Masters Degree with 3 years of experience or PhD with 1 year of experience
- Experience in the use of Medical Imaging in IO/Oncology research, especially in clinical trials.
- Understanding of the end-to-end drug development process.
- Sufficient Immunology and Oncology disease area knowledge to interact with confidence with internal and external IO partners.
- Technical experience and training on common clinical imaging modalities, including CT, MRI, PET/CT, bone scans, etc.
- Evidence of strong leadership of owning the imaging interface with the external community; e.g., CRO or third-party provider, site monitors, study team etc. with a focus on timely delivery of quality data is helpful.
- Experience providing advice on quality assurance and data integrity to uphold GCP and regulatory compliance at Investigative sites and vendors, as well as troubleshooting issues
- Experience functioning as the Imaging subject matter expert working with clinical development teams (evidence of leading cross functional teams focusing on good communication, passion for customers and working collaboratively).
- Experience working with PACS systems and image analysis software and having a basic understanding of the emerging integration of AI and machine learning in imaging.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well-qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
Competitive remuneration and benefits apply
We offer a competitive Total Reward program including a market driven base salary, bonus and long term incentive. We have a comprehensive benefits package.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.