Associate Director, Healthcare Analytics
Job title: Associate Director, Healthcare Analytics
Location: Barcelona (Spain), Gothenburg (Sweden), Cambridge (UK), Gaithersburg (USA), Toronto (Canada)
Competitive Salary + Benefits
Make a more meaningful impact to patients’ lives around the globe
Here you’ll have the opportunity to make a meaningful difference to patients’ lives. With science at its heart, this is the place where breakthroughs born in the lab become transformative medicines – for the world’s most complex diseases. Answer unmet medical needs by pioneering the next wave of science, focusing on outcomes and shaping the patient ecosystem.
With our ground-breaking pipeline, the outlook is bright. Be proud to be part of a place that has achieved so much, yet is still moving forward. There’s no better time to join our global, growing enterprise as we lead the way for healthcare and society.
The Centre For Artificial Intelligence (CAI) is a lab focused on applying machine learning research to the toughest challenges at AstraZeneca. We are a team of experts from different disciplines including Machine Intelligence, Data Science, Real World Evidence and Bioinformatics.
We innovate together with our leading biologists, chemists, and clinicians to close the gap between today's challenges and the forefront of machine learning. If you want to have an impact on transforming patients' lives by accelerating new medicines to patients, this may be the position for you!
What you’ll do
In this role, you will apply your expertise in developing novel analytical methods that support disease understanding, assess treatment pathways and unmet need, and optimize drug development programs using Real World Data.
You will work closely with drug project teams to inform critical business decisions and identify opportunities where Real World Data can have a significant impact in accelerating drug development. You will be a subject matter expert in cross functional projects and mentor junior team members.
Typical accountabilities for the role include:
- Partner with stakeholders across R&D to generate RWE for informimg critical business decisions and accelerate drug development
- Apply your expertise in the development of novel analytics and Machine Learning solutions for RWE generation
- Manage multiple projects across the portfolio and collaborate with Data Scientists, Machine Learning Researchers, Bioinformaticians etc. to find new solutions for drug development and discovery
- Provide input to the strategic decisions on RWE data strategy, platform and capability build to cross functional teams
- Collaborate with key opinion leaders to leverage and promote optimised utilisation of RWD
- Indipendently keep on training up to date and remin at the cutting edge of RWE research
- Review and develop working practices to ensure that work is delivered to robust quality standards
- Ensure work is compliant within Clinical Development and CAI standards
Examples of projects that team works on are:
- Use Real World data to optimise clinical development programs
- Research and develop machine learning models on multi-modal data to identify biomarkers and further our understanding of disease
- Evaluate unmet medical need in patient population and compare diagnostic and treatment pathways
- Create novel methods to understand disease progression, risk factors, and predict outcomes of interest
- Assess generalizability of clinical trials and contextualise results in real world patient population
Essential for the role
- BSc or MSc in a Life Science, Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years’ experience in designing and conducting observational studies using epidemiological methods
- In depth knowledge of Real World Data assets, such as claims, EHRs, registries
- Disease/therapy area and/or biological sciences domain knowledge
- Demonstrated experience in method development and application using Python and database languages (e.g. SQL)
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work with others to achieve objectives
Desirable for the role
- PhD in a Life Science or Computer Science preferred
- Expertise with clinical data standards, medical terminologies and controlled vocabularies used in healthcare data and ontologies
- Use of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence in the generation of hypotheses from patient level Real World Data
- Experience of working in a global organization with complex/geographical context
- Strong track record of delivering and managing multi-disciplinary analytics projects
- Publications in high impact journals, contribution to external open source projects
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being an excellent Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your ambitious spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We’re on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what’s next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Are you ready to bring new insights and fresh thinking to the table? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
Our Gothenburg site: https://www.astrazeneca.com/our-science/gothenburg.html
Inclusion & Diversity at AstraZeneca: https://careers.astrazeneca.com/inclusion-diversity
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.