VP, Head of EU Medical Affairs Oncology
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring new ideas to life.
Our ambition is to push the boundaries of science to change the practice of medicine and transform the lives of patients living with cancer. To accomplish this, we focus on research and development and our commercial capabilities to deliver a new generation of medicines that have the potential to redefine cancer treatment. We’re concentrating on four scientific platforms that we believe show the greatest potential for yielding effective medicines for cancer patients:
- Tumor Drivers and Resistance
- DNA Damage Response
- Antibody Drug Conjugates
Global Medical Affairs (GMA) ensures the best patient outcomes by providing healthcare decision-makers around the world with the evidence and confidence they need on AstraZeneca therapies and supports our internal stakeholders with medical insight and expertise. GMA provides medical leadership with market participation and connectivity while also impacting the life cycle planning and execution of all our products. GMA aims to lead AstraZeneca in achieving scientific leadership, being a great place to work, and keeping patients at the core of everything we do.
In order to accomplish our goals and enable the best patient outcomes, we look for AstraZeneca medical network leaders to have four core capabilities and act as role models to our AstraZeneca values. These capabilities include:
- Track record of building and maintaining a deep and continued connection to Medical Practice/healthcare delivery
- Collaborative/matrix management skills with a focus on leading diverse groups (e.g., cultural, geographical, functional) to achieve excellent results in shared goals
- Well-developed communication and influencing skills with the ability to distil complexity down to what matters to our stakeholders Strong financial/budget and project management skills
- Business acumen
As VP - Head of EU Medical Affairs, you will report to the SVP, Head of Global Medical Affairs OBU; and will be a member of the Oncology Global Medical Affairs Leadership Team. The key aspects of the role include ensuring optimal country execution of the medical affairs priorities, plus strong partnering with the EU Commercial Lead to shape and communicate a clear European direction for AstraZeneca's Oncology portfolio and medical plans.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive the continued development of affiliates' core capabilities and medical excellence standard to drive AstraZeneca’s medical and scientific leadership in Oncology
- Strong leadership of and partnering with the Oncology Medical Affairs Directors within key markets to ensure delivery of brand and medical priorities in the TA (Therapeutic Area)
- Ensure strong EU medical input into Global Medical plans and strategic planning, to ensure the global strategies and deliverables meet the needs of Europe
- Accountable for the overall Oncology Medical Budgets and personnel in key European markets (Italy, France, Germany, Spain, and UK, at a minimum)
- Support the countries, as needed, to find solutions to medical and business priorities and needs
- Ensure launch readiness for our emerging Oncology products in Europe
- Ensure MC clarity of global strategies; appropriate local/regional adaptation & optimal execution
- Rapid dissemination of best practices sharing, especially around launch success and execution against common strategic drivers
- Deliver relevant above market activities/interventions where common needs exist
- MD (or equivalent) with deep clinical expertise in Oncology
- Significant Medical Affairs experience, including deep understanding of product development, academic research institutes, Key External Expert engagement and life cycle management
- Global or regional, and local experience required as either Country Medical Director or Oncology Medical Director in at least 1 medium-to-large market (inclusive of significant product launches experience)
- Experience of developing robust local/regional medical strategies and evidence generations, and track record of successful execution of complex local and global plans
- Deep understanding of the EU regulatory and Healthcare environment, including access and payers landscapes
- Established trusted relationships with relevant therapeutic area experts
- Ability to influence without authority, including senior stakeholders
- Proven track record of successful planning and managing of complex budgets and financial processes
- Strong track record in hiring, developing and retaining talented individuals, and in establishing high-performing teams
- Mobility (frequent business trips)
- Fluency in English
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.