Global Publications Lead, Oncology
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Global Publications Lead in Cambridge, UK or Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
The Oncology Business Medical team is the ‘face’ of AstraZeneca to the healthcare community. OBU Medical team members leverage their scientific and clinical expertise to help healthcare professionals understand how to appropriately utilize AstraZeneca’s medicines. AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to push the boundaries of science to change the practice of medicine, transform the lives of patients living with cancer, and to ultimately eliminate cancer as a cause of death. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
The Global Publications Leader (GPL), Oncology delivers the strategic publications plan for the oncology franchise, and leads a cross-matrix team of AstraZeneca. Due to the importance of this portfolio, you must be an experienced publications professional, ready for new challenges with creative and collaborative problem-solving skills. The prominence of this role will provide you with opportunities for significant interactions with senior and global stakeholder in the organization as well as key external stakeholders.
- Leading the development and execution of the publication strategy and tactical plan for global clinical studies in humans from Phase I-IV, and non-clinical trial sources including health economics and outcomes research, epidemiology, real-world evidence (RWE), payer, and non-interventional studies, aligned with a specific medical strategies and objectives
- Heading the development of scientific, clinical and RWE planning data into timely publications for prescribers, payers, and patients through disease state and medicine insights and leading effective collaboration with cross-functional teams and external alliances
- Tracking existing publication plans to ensure alignment with evidence plans
- The day-to-day management of assigned publication plans, delivery of outputs, financial tracking and meeting activities, working closely with all members of the delivery team
- Developing a thorough understanding of internal and external stakeholders to further the leverage of clinical and RWE studies
- Manage external agency partners to ensure accuracy of publication plan and publication deliverables with respect to time, quality and cost, and ensuring correct compliance documentation is in place including budgetary responsibilities
Minimum Requirements – Education and Experience
- Relevant University Degree (BS/BA) OR Advanced degree in a scientific or medical discipline (eg PharmD, PhD, MD)
- Poise in senior leader engagement
- Ability to prioritize, thrive and execute in high pressure situations
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Collaborative and consultative cross-matrix abilities
- The ability to appreciate and work within a large strategic framework, while maintaining strong attention to detail and compliance to global publications ethical standards and company publications policy and SOPs
- A blend of strategic agility and tactical execution skills
- Passion, ambition and a flair for strong team leadership across the organization
- Demonstrated performance, budget, and resource management skills in a global organization
- Ability to understand and adhere to good publication practices and relevant guidelines on and scientific data communication, such as ICMJE, GPP3, company policy and SOPs
Skills and Capabilities
- Strong therapeutic knowledge in oncology
- Complete multiple projects with a common deadline
- Experience in collaboration within a medical affairs organization
- Broad understanding of drug development process
- Experience in medical communications gained through working in the pharmaceutical industry or a medical communications agency
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with external experts, investigators, journal editors and publishers and professional bodies
- Flexibility and adaptability to manage long-term activities in a constantly changing internal and external environment
- Working knowledge of Datavision publication management systems
- Certification as a Medical Publication Professional (CMPP) desired
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.