Associate Principal Pathologist – Oncology Safety, Clinical Pharmacology and Safety Sciences
Associate Principal Pathologist – Oncology Safety, Clinical Pharmacology and Safety Sciences (CPSS)
Gaithersburg, MD/ Cambridge UK
Are you passionate about pathology and advanced image analysis? Can you apply these skills to help us in drug discovery? Do you have expertise working across talented team and are you able to help shape an integrated imaging strategies? Then why not join our Oncology Safety department!
AstraZeneca discovers and develops medicines in 4 core areas of Oncology, Respiratory and Immunology (R&I), and Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolic Disease (CVRM). Oncology Safety, a global department within the Clinical Pharmacology and Safety Sciences (CPSS) function, is looking for an Associate Principal Pathologist to join their teams to develop and advance our portfolio of innovative anti-cancer medicines in Oncology R&D.
CPSS is changing the way pathology and imaging technologies are combined to offer unprecedented insight and impact. Our pathologists are empowered by access to AI digital pathology, multiplex assays, advanced molecular imaging techniques and a full suite of in vivo imaging technologies. This position offers the opportunity for a pathologist to explore new ways of supporting how we investigate both the safety and efficacy of drugs within our projects. The role will work within a dynamic scientific team with opportunity to deliver scientific strategies that change our view of disease. We believe this is a truly exciting opportunity to a passionate pathologist.
As an Associate Principal Pathologist you will work at the forefront of experimental pathology and safety science, where you will help progress a rich and diverse pipeline which includes small molecules, cutting-edge mAb-based therapeutics, antibody conjugates, next generation cellular and viral therapies. We are a diverse global department with Pathologists based at AstraZeneca sites in the US (Gaithersburg and Boston) and UK (Cambridge). We are looking for a talented, highly motivated Pathologist to join our team in either Gaithersburg, MD or Cambridge, UK.
You will apply your expertise in experimental and toxicologic pathology, strong communication skills and experience of successful cross-functional collaborations, both as contributor and leader, to cutting edge drug development in a multidisciplinary environment.
As Associate Principal Pathologist, your primary responsibilities will include:
- Assessing safety and efficacy of novel compounds
- Providing expert scientific analysis for oncology portfolio safety and investigative pathology studies, including study design, interpretation and integration of pathology data, digital pathology and multi-dimensional biomarkers
- Develop a deep expertise through study analysis, training and development via thorough knowledge of the literature
- Strategic thinking to evaluate pathological insight into disease and toxicology and develop effective capabilities and solutions
- Interpreting and communicating findings to cross-functional project teams and senior leadership
- Peer review of outsourced non-GLP and GLP toxicology studies
- Supporting discovery research programs by providing comparative molecular pathology expertise to projects, in vitro systems and in vivo models
- DVM and ACVP/ECVP board certification in Veterinary Anatomic Pathology
- 3+ years of relevant experience
- PhD in a relevant scientific discipline is strongly preferred
- Significant experience in the pharmaceutical industry, with advanced knowledge of pathology and toxicology
- Proven scientific leadership with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic, team-oriented environment
- Experience with molecular pathology assay development, data integration and analysis, and enthusiasm to champion digital pathology and machine learning driven artificial intelligence
Next Steps – Apply today!
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.