Associate Principal Scientist - Medicinal Chemistry, ADCs
Do you have expertise in, and passion for Chemistry within Oncology? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the rational design of the payloads linkers and conjugation technology for the next generation of ADCs? in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
Here you’ll have the opportunity to make a meaningful difference to patients’ lives. With science at its heart, this is the place where breakthroughs born in the lab become transformative medicines – for the world’s most complex diseases. Answer unmet medical needs by pioneering the next wave of science, focusing on outcomes and shaping the patient ecosystem. With our ground-breaking pipeline, the outlook is bright. Be proud to be part of a place that has achieved so much, yet is still moving forward. There’s no better time to join our global, growing enterprise as we lead the way for healthcare and society.
Welcome to our Spirogen site, part of the AstraZeneca Group - Whitechapel, London… one of over 400 sites here at AstraZeneca, providing a collaborative environment where everyone feels comfortable and able to be themselves is at the core of AstraZeneca’s priorities, it’s important to us that you bring your full self to work every day. To help you maintain your best self, here’s a sneak peek into some of the things this site provides for you After-work events, Lunch & Learns, Bright and spacious sustainable office working environment, Networking events. Situated in the heart of London’s historical east end close to the vibrant and fashionable areas of Shoreditch, Spitalfields and Brick Lane with excellent public transport links to central London.
Be part of fulfilling our ambition to be world leaders in Oncology. We are already the fastest growing team within AstraZeneca and across the industry, and there are countless new indications and targets in our game-changing pipeline. We deliver this value through launch excellence, commercial effectiveness and maximising the lifecycle. By leveraging our commercialised portfolio we are confident we can change the practice of medicine and redefine cancer treatment.
What you’ll do
At AstraZeneca every one of our employees makes a difference to patient lives every day. We are building on our strong pipeline and turning ideas into life-changing medicines that benefit patients around the globe!!
To succeed in this vision, AstraZeneca are seeking an experienced chemist for our Tumour targeted drug design and delivery chemistry group. Based in the Spirogen laboratories in London, you will be an integral part of the medicinal chemistry teams working on the design and synthesis of drug payload molecules for novel antibody drug conjugates (ADCs). ADCs are among the fastest growing drug classes in oncology. This position offers the successful applicant the opportunity to have an impact on the rational design of the payloads linkers and conjugation technology for the next generation of ADCs.
- Leads a small team to develop scientific methodology to be used in chemistry related projects, or provides experienced technical input into the process
- Leads a small team working on the rational design of the payloads linkers and conjugation technology for the next generation of ADCs. Provides experienced technical input to expand the role of ADCs beyond classical cytotoxic payloads
- Leading a small team to drive the establishment and implementation of new methods, practises and ways of working by engaging others within the region and between skill groups, or uses expert technical knowledge to provide a forward looking science and technology view and develop proposals for improved practise within drug projects across regions and areas of the business
- Applies technical knowledge and expertise to achieve project targets in a timely fashion and to agreed quality standards.
- Keeps abreast of trends within the external scientific world to transform novel ideas appropriately into research programs and activities within AstraZeneca
- Shares experience, knowledge and industry developments with peer scientists in AstraZeneca, or other internal concerned parties, with the purpose of growing general level of competence and industry awareness
- Responsible for determining which processes and methodologies should be pursued, and making decisions about how much resources to invest in them, or contributes to this decision making process as a valued expert
- Supports on-going change and risk management
- Ensures own work, and the work of others, is performed in accordance with appropriate Safety, Health & Environment (SHE), quality and compliance standards, e.g. Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
Essential for the role
- PhD in Chemistry with PostDoc experience
- Line management experience
- Significant experience in a relevant scientific discipline
- Theoretical knowledge and long term experience of relevant techniques and technologies
- Understanding the process of successful drug discovery/drug development
- Solid understanding of AstraZeneca business objectives that are related to R&D
- Solid understanding of relevant company and national regulations and industry standards
- Understanding of patent and IP strategies
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We’re on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
You can find alternative messaging to use in the ‘Global Talent Attraction Story messaging’ section of the Global Playbook on the Employer Brand Portal - try to use other examples in order to make it different for candidates!
So, what’s next?
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
- Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
- If you’re curious to know more then please reach out to Louise Bennett
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media,
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
If you have site, country or departmental social media then feel free to switch any of the above links.
Competitive salary package and benefits
Close Date: 23/04/2021
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.