Associate Principal Scientist - Pharmaceutical Sciences
Associate Principal Scientist - Pharmaceutical Sciences (PS)
Salary & Benefits Competitive
At AstraZeneca, we believe in the potential of our people and you’ll develop beyond what you thought possible! We make the most of your skills and passion by actively supporting you to see what you can achieve no matter where you start with us!
We are currently looking for scientific leaders in chemical development with oligonucleotide based experience. You will join our Early Chemical Development (ECD) team in Pharmaceutical Sciences (PS), Macclesfield Campus, UK.
AstraZeneca is a global, science-driven biopharmaceutical company dedicated to discovering, developing and delivering innovative, meaningful medicines and healthcare solutions that enrich the lives of patients.
Pharmaceutical Sciences is a function within the AstraZeneca Biopharmaceuticals R&D unit that creates innovative, efficient solutions by transforming molecules into investigative medicines meeting unmet needs of future patients. The function has four departments: Early Chemical Development, Advanced Drug Delivery, Early Product Development and Manufacturing, and Data Science and Modelling. Our wide-ranging portfolio of projects includes traditional small molecules, nucleotide-based therapies and nano medicines across AstraZeneca’s therapy areas.
Early Chemical Development (ECD) is a world class CMC department with responsibility for early phase Drug Substance. The department’s responsibilities span from early engagement with Discovery Chemistry groups to manufacture of Phase II Clinical material, and its key skill areas include Analytical Chemistry, Crystallisation, Isotope Chemistry, Large-Scale Laboratory (Kilo-Lab) Manufacturing, Process Chemistry, Process Design, Process Engineering, Route Design and Separation Science.
We’re looking for a highly talented and experienced Process Chemist to join the team working on our oligonucleotide programs. The individual will have extensive process chemistry experience, with expertise in oligonucleotide projects an advantage. A passion for working in new scientific areas and developing solutions to technical and project challenges is a key requirement for the role. The role will form part of ECD’s new modality team delivering a portfolio of Oligonucleotide projects, as well as contributing to the full range of other New Modality projects within the department.
As a specialist in process chemistry, you will provide scientific leadership and experienced technical mentorship in Pharmaceutical Sciences projects, working both internally and with outsourced partners. You will also identify and solve problems, championing science and technology innovations in order to develop the strategic capability in oligonucleotides and other New Modalities. You’ll mentor and develop colleagues, and actively contribute to scientific subject area networks. By driving innovation, helping to secure intellectual property, and contributing to presentations and publications you will develop your own profile and improve AstraZeneca’s scientific reputation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to development and implementation of a strategy for oligonucleotide portfolio within Early Chemical Development
- Lead complex projects oligonucleotide chemistry projects and to bring outward facing perspectives in addressing opportunities (interfacing across departments, identifying and implementing specialist capabilities, drawing upon external expertise and personal networks).
- To provide experienced challenge to drug projects and role model positive behaviours in exploring new ways of working and scientific development
- Enhance AZ’s scientific reputation by publishing high calibre research, engaging in external collaborations and building professional networks.
- To provide scientific/technical leadership across the departmental skill groups in resolving risks, identifying learning to share across the department and deliver regulatory submissions
- To demonstrate scientific leadership and strategic development of drug projects.
- Mentoring and developing junior colleagues, supporting them in reaching their full potential.
- Contributing to the development of Early Chemical Development to support AZ current and future portfolio, defining and delivering continuous improvement plans.
Required Qualifications, Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Degree or equivalent (Masters or PhD preferred) scientific qualification in a relevant subject area
- Significant experience of chemical development with a track record of delivery and creativity
- Sound understanding of the drug development process from discovery through to launch
- Experience of leading project work, technical supervision and mentorship
- An appreciation of how Pharmaceutical Science contributes to R&D
- Either experience relevant to Oligonucleotide development or a strong interest in developing knowledge and experience in this area
- Knowledge of ICH guidance. Experience of QA/regulatory environment for Oligonucleotides would be an advantage
Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Ability to analyse and interpret complex situations and provide clear strategic direction
- Excellent communication and strategic influencing skills across interfaces of discipline, culture, and expertise both internally and externally.
- Strong self-development focus, with an interest in learning about new scientific areas
- Ability to think and operate across functional boundaries, challenge the status quo and seek opportunities for business improvement.
- Proven problem solver with in depth technical skills.
- Proven scientific leadership.
- A background in oligonucleotide chemistry or manufacturing.
- Experience of clinical drug substance development within a CMC organisation.
- Strong internal and external stakeholder leadership skills, including experience of partnering with external CROs.
How to Apply
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application form on our website.
Applications must include your current CV, and a cover letter which presents your motivation and suitability for the role.
Applicants will be notified of application outcome in February 2021
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.