Enterprise Data Governance Lead
Enterprise Data Governance Lead (12 Month FTC)
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, Data Governance ? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? If so, AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven BioPharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
About our data science & engineering team
A place to do important work. We connect across the whole business to power each function to better influence patient outcomes and improve their lives. Impactful and valuable, this is where you come to raise your profile
and do good for others. Play an increasingly crucial role in driving pioneering transformation on our journey to becoming a digital and data-led enterprise. Unleash the power of our latest innovations in data, machine learning and technology to turn complex information into life-changing and practical insights. Work in harmony with leading experts in our specialist communities. Here we bring the brightest minds to bear, with access to innovative techniques and the opportunity to be part of novel solutions. It’s up to us to drive the outcomes forward, inventing and building, expanding our knowledge to identify the next opportunity. An inclusive team, we bring together diverse areas – different functions as well as external partners. Pooling from an unrivalled source of knowledge, we share, learn and challenge. It powers us to decode business needs and apply our technical know-how to add greater value. Rise to the challenge of shaping the future of an evolving business in the technology space.
ABOUT THE ROLE?
The enterprise data governance lead is a role within the Enterprise Data & Information Governance team that forms part of Innovation, Architecture, Data and AI group (IADAI) within AZ IT. The role, works closely with partners across IT and the Business functions to define the key Data & Information Governance Global data standards, frameworks and services that are needed to ensure AZ successfully protects and exploits its data assets.
The enterprise data governance lead role supports the establishment of the data enterprise data standards, the data catalogue capability, the data governance maturity assessment capability and the establishment of a data quality operating model and their transitions from a series of projects to business as usual. This includes working with business peers, data stewards and colleagues across IT. The role is a great opportunity for an experienced data governance professional to establish and influence the adoption of standard methodologies policies and guidance across the company’s key systems and data sources.
The purpose of this role is to work with the business data governance managers and data stewards to improve business adoption of data governance standard methodologies, improve the quality of data and its governance within our core systems . Working with senior partners from business units throughout AZ, the data Enterprise Data and AI services team and relevant third parties to deliver a data governance programme to improve data quality within our and core systems and business processes. The role is responsible for engaging with systems owners and business users to ensure that data governance requirements are defined, documented and translated into effective and consistent processes that improve the quality of our data . The data governance lead will be a member of the enterprise data and information governance management team and collaborate with the enterprise data and information governance manager head.
Responsibilities will be expected to evolve over time as the AZ governance landscape evolves. They will include but will not be restricted to leading and carrying out:
- Build and maintain a detailed assessment of AZ’s data governance activity to ensure compliance with enterprise data and information governance standards and guidelines.
- Create and maintain ownership accountability and responsibility guidance to the busines community
- Develop standards, policies and procedures to support the data and information governance strategy and provide technical assurance for the on-going implementation of the data governance policy within the business
- Manage the delivery of the enterprise data governance programme
- Lead teams across AZ to ensure data governance policies and practices are embedded throughout the company
- Establish standard methodology for the application of data governance and enabling services and rules for their use
- Align the IT data governance programme to the enterprise data and information strategy
- Embed and align AZ data governance activity with privacy and information security programmes and initiatives
- Use specialist knowledge and expertise to identify improvements to ensure that the enterprise data governance standards continue to evolve to meet the changing regulatory and business landscape.
- Continually assess and identify risks in line with the AZ risk management approach, ensuring they are owned and as appropriate mitigated and accounted for.
- Support and supervise IT data stewardship activities and management of data quality, retention and uses
- Identify and develop standards and guidance that need to be put in place to ensure the role can be carried out effectively and efficiently
- Support project planning and management to ensure standard methodology and finance frameworks are followed with regards to the enterprise data and information governance team.
- A post graduate information management or data governance qualification or at least three years’ experience working within an information or data governance setting Experience
Experience and Knowledge
- A good understanding of data and information management practices including information lifecycle management, data modelling, master data management and carrying out business audits and requirements gathering
- Experience working within the information/records management field
- Experience in leading a data governance programme
- Understanding of the principles of IT security and data protection
- Experience of requirements gathering
- Solid ability to extract information by questioning, active listening and interviewing
- An understanding of relevant statutory frameworks applying to data governance such as the (eg Data Protection Act)
- Specialist knowledge of data governance principles and practices
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills – able to liaise with staff at all levels
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to produce clear requirements, specifications and documentation
- Good ability to communicate embed information, business process and system wide changes to a technical and non-technical audience
- Ability to work on own initiative within agreed boundaries
- Ability to work under stress and manage conflicting priorities
WHY JOIN IT?
We’re a network of entrepreneurial self-starters who contribute to something far bigger. There’s a diversity of expertise in our Technology group that’s unique to AstraZeneca – it allows us to dive deep into exploring new groundbreaking technology. We enable AstraZeneca to perform at its peak by delivering world-class technology and data solutions. Our work unlocks the potential of science. We optimise and evolutionise AstraZeneca by maximising efficiencies and finding new ways to drive productivity. From automation to data simplification. We’re not afraid to take ownership and run with it. Empowered with unrivalled freedom. A place to be open and transparent – we speak up, think creatively and share ideas. Our diverse contributions help us to make better decisions. But we have a constant drive to innovate, and an appreciation for high standards. It takes challenging the status quo to contribute in our ever-evolving environment. We love it here because put simply, we make a meaningful impact.
Technology at AstraZeneca is a home for purposeful disruptors!
SO, WHAT’S NEXT?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we’d love to hear from you! Click the link to apply and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
Competitive salary & benefits on offer.
Open Date: 15/11/2021
Close Date: 15/12/2021
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.