Competitor Intelligence Data Science Director, Oncology R&D Strategy
At AstraZeneca, we are committed to developing, and delivering innovative, meaningful medicines and healthcare solutions that enrich the lives of patients. In AstraZeneca Oncology, our goal is to be at the forefront of developing the next generation of cancer therapies.
A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies. All of these focus areas, new modalities and interventions will only succeed if we can bring our research data together in a holistic and synergistic manner.
AstraZeneca's industry-leading Competitive Intelligence and Analysis team sits at the heart of the Oncology R&D Strategy Group and has an impact on decision-making at the highest levels. You will be part of a high performing Oncology R&D Strategy Team, bearing responsibility for ensuring the decisions we make with our pipeline assets best position us for maximum return on investment and positive patient outcomes.
We have an exciting opportunity for someone passionate about utilizing data science shape R&D strategy through deep competitor insights. This is a high impact role that requires you to shape strategy and influence critical investment decisions by delivering industry-leading analysis and insights to Senior Leadership and other key stakeholders to ensure a full understanding of the rapidly evolving oncology landscape.
The individual will work within an industry-leading competitor analysis team to generate insights through AI and ML, build scalable analytics apps and integrate external and internal insights to ensure robust investment decisions across the AZ portfolio.
What you'll do:
- Lead a portfolio of data science projects of defined scope within Oncology R&D strategy
- Lead the adoption of ongoing knowledge and awareness in trends, standard methodology and new developments in analytics and data science to influence functional practices and strategy
- Propose and guide research and development of predictive models and computational methods to guide complex decision-making
- Create and foster effective relationships with senior and executive stakeholders to ensure utilization and value of information resources and services across the project portfolios.
- Use your healthcare / pharma / oncology-specific understanding to translate unstructured, complex problems into the appropriate data problem, model and analytical solutions
- Align efforts across R&D IT, enterprise IT, Data Science Office
- Be a strong critical thinker with the learning agility to rapidly understanding data challenges, seize opportunities to develop data solutions
Essential for the role:
- MSc or BSc in Computer Science, Analytics, Bioinformatics or related quantitative field
- Significant experience of the application of AI, especially in areas like Natural Language Processing and Ontologies
- Significant experience in life sciences/healthcare (oncology is preferred)
- Extensive experience in an Information Engineering/Information Architecture and evidence of successful data solution design & delivery.
- Expertise in data management, keying and linking data across life science R&D
- Solid understanding and experience of Competitive Intelligence solutions and data
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you!
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.