Global Supply Strategy Director / Sr Director - Global Operations
Are you looking for an opportunity to influence AZ’s exciting supply chains of the future? Well look no more! The Global Supply and Strategy Director role is the one pivotal role in Operations that works across SET areas to influence future supply chains for new products, strategically manage established supply chains, all while growing significant product, financial and global supply chain knowledge.
At AstraZeneca, we are an equal opportunity employer that puts patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, a team leader, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality.
This role will be hired at either a Director or Sr. Director level depending on the qualifications of the successful candidate.
Global Supply and Strategy Director / Sr. Director (GSSD) will preferably be located in Gaithersburg, MD, however, can be global or in Wilmington, DE. The GSSDs are pivotal roles within GSC&S. They take overall strategic responsibility for optimizing the design and performance of supply chains for a portfolio of products, continually improving efficiency and performance throughout the life-cycle of the brands. We take a broad approach to planning, balancing the demand for medicines with the capacity our company has to manufacture and supply them.
Our Gaithersburg, MD campus employs more than 3,500 specialists in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all crafted to encourage teamwork and cross-functional science. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while growing teamwork between teams. Our site in Wilmington, DE is our North America Biopharmaceutical Business. It’s where several business functions integral to our US business are based and where 1,500 of our colleagues innovate for a higher purpose. Located near Philadelphia, our newly redesigned campus offers a positive and broad environment and plenty of on-site perks. The site offers an open floor plan to allow cross-functional collaboration and encourage innovation, outdoor patio, Fitness center, outdoor sports area, onsite dry-cleaning services, Wellness Center, mother’s rooms, and more. Global Supply Chain and Strategy (GSC&S) has both tactical and strategic responsibilities across the whole of the AstraZeneca network. GSC&S leads the design, planning, and development of AstraZeneca’s supply chains ensuring we have the most efficient and effective ways of getting life-changing medicines to patients. The activities they lead include crafting AstraZeneca’s overall supply chain strategy and establishing supply chains for new products to support successful launches.
The GSSD is accountable for the supply chain whilst the brand in clinical development (Phase II/III) all the way through to the end of the life-cycle for the brand. You will be responsible for collaborating with site and functional representatives deployed around the world on the strategic direction of the supply of the products, the optimization of the brands value chain and the comprehensive supply risk management and business continuity plans. The GSSDs manage the strategic plans for the products and ensure launches happen on time.
This is a critical interface role with Global Commercial ensuring market demands are analyzed and incorporated into the strategic Product plans. GSSDs are the key link and single point of contact representing their supply chains with our Oncology/Biopharma commercial business units and will also represent Supply Chains on the Global Product cross-functional Teams, which develop, commercialize and optimize our brands across all business areas in AstraZeneca.
In this role, there will be regular opportunities to represent your brands in senior key governance interactions. This will give you strong transparency and the opportunity to continually demonstrate your excellent communication, influencing and stakeholder management skills.
What you will do:
- Utilize your knowledge and expertise to design and establish and optimize product supply chains throughout the life-cycle for a portfolio of products within a Therapy Area. This may require you to make recommendations for investment decisions, demonstrating your supply chain financial acumen.
- Provide product/brand leadership to other senior managers within the Operations and represent Operations and product supply on Global Product Teams and in other senior product stakeholder forums.
- Optimize performance of current supply chains including using lean methodologies to improve supply chain lead time.
- Have accountability for improving your product Cost Of Goods throughout the life-cycle.
- Own and manage the product business continuity plans for your brands and ensure a constant state of readiness to ensure product supply.
- Lead and direct a matrixed team to execute against the brand strategy and seamless key supply chain changes.
- Deliver successful, seamless, on-time new product launches to parameters agreed with our Oncology and Biopharma Business Units.
- Direct, manage and represent multi-region supply issue resolution to successful conclusion, including demand allocation
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum of ten years’ experience being independently proficient in supply chain management, lean supply chains, data integrity role.
- Demonstrated mastery of supply strategy development, influencing, collaboration, enterprise thinking, relationship management, financial acumen, product costing and business case development experience.
- A comprehensive understanding of product development, manufacturing and supply management and how other functions contribute to achieving the Supply Chain objectives of the business.
- Demonstrated success working cross-functionally and influencing and communicating to senior levels of the organization.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, groundbreaking cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Next Steps – Apply today!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? We have two seats available, and we hope it’s yours. Curious to know more, then please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well-qualified for this opportunity. Know someone who would be an excellent fit, please share this posting with them.
Find out more on Social Media:
- LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.