Speke, Liverpool, UK
Salary & Benefits Competitive
At AstraZeneca we win through science, it’s at the heart of our every success. That science is only possible when we all work together – we’ll always make sure you’re clear about how your role is connected to our wider mission to really show what science can do!
The Flu-Biopharmaceutical Development (Flu-BPD) department is accountable for the supply of new attenuated virus strains for use in the Fluenz intranasal influenza vaccine and the support and development of the medicine’s manufacturing and testing. The Lab Manager will have responsibility for the management of Flu-BPD's Research and Development laboratories. The role will deliver customer-focused support, ensuring that the department’s laboratories, systems and processes are well organised, co-ordinated and compliant. The position reports to the head of department as a member of the departmental leadership team.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facility and equipment maintenance and control - ensuring the required calibration, cleaning and maintenance of the laboratory facility and equipment is carried out in line with requirements
- Maintaining Department Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) and Quality compliance
- Liaising with Procurement and Finance to ensure control of the department’s expenditure and budget
- Management of the external lab support services team
- Oversight of the department’s materials and sample management process - monitoring of laboratory supplies and consumables to ensure continuity of supply
- Coordination of outside working hours emergency cover.
- Departmental Lean champion- using and coaching on Lean principles to drive continuous improvement and the use of 5S in the labs
- Prepare quarterly reports of department performance for senior management review
- Supporting internal and external audits
- Supervising staff - motivating and engaging teams by providing mentorship and training to develop their skills and capabilities
Requirements / Qualifications:
- To have a minimum of a science degree
Skills and Experience:
- Previous experience in leading a scientific laboratory is critical. Knowledge of biohazard containment labs and/or GxP laboratories is desirable
- Excellent knowledge of health and safety regulations especially as applicable in a multi-disciplinary R&D lab. Experience of working with biological hazards is desirable
- Understanding of GxP / GMP quality management framework and systems
- Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to interact well with colleagues at all levels
- Strong track record of excellent customer delivery and stakeholder management with a proven ability to negotiate and influence effectively, using discretion and diplomacy as necessary
- Proven management, leadership and organisational skills with an ability to use initiative and judgement to plan, organise and progress several projects simultaneously
- An understanding of Lean principles to maximise organisation efficiency is desirable
- Strong writing, reporting and presentation skills
- IT skills - a familiarity with and ability to use standard software packages
- High level of complexity, working on multiple priorities and at multiple levels of the company and with external suppliers
- The job holder must make independent decisions and will be encouraged to exercise judgement and decisiveness
- The role holder will be encouraged to participate in inter-company and cross site meetings and therefore requires the ability to collaborate closely at all levels
- Must work with minimal direction and guidance, with a high level of independence
Open Date 31/07/2020
Close Date 28/08/2020
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.