Global Medical Affairs Leader - Oncology (DNA Damage Response Franchise, Pan Tumour)
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a Global Medical Affairs Leader for Pan Tumour Activities, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on improving patients' lives. This role will carry specific responsibilities for a range of activities including diagnostics that cross the core tumour types for the brand.
AstraZeneca's vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage response, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
AstraZeneca is seeking a Global Medical Affairs Leader (GMAL) to work pan-tumour to ensure integration and execution of Medical Affairs activities that impact across our core tumour areas, with an initial focus of diagnostics and confidence activities, with additional responsibilities in other emerging tumour areas. The role reports to the Head of Breast Cancer and LCM within the DNA Damage Response (DDR) Franchise.
The GMAL for Pan tumour will work with the individual tumour Medical Affairs leads to ensure the timely, high quality input into global Medical plans, to support patient access to the right drugs including diagnostic testing solutions that enable optimal treatment choices and support. They will be expected to proactively identify opportunities and develop activities that add value to the our external stakeholders
An important element of this role is therefore to develop strategic and long-term partnerships with relevant external Oncology stakeholders and decision makers, through the development of AZ’s scientific leadership with advocacy, scientific organizations, thought leaders and HTA/payers organizations to help inform and develop a best in class diagnostics capabilities aligned with the medical needs of our portfolio.
This role will require matrix leadership and broad internal cross-functional collaboration with multiple global medical and development teams, marketing team as well as teams in key affiliates. Based on a scientific understanding of the disease area, unmet medical needs, treatment options and barriers to testing, you will enable the organization to help develop tailored medical solutions. You will also be responsible for the coordination of some above product medical affairs activities in collaboration with the other medical leaders across the organization.
Key activities include:
- Working with the diagnostic and individual tumour leads responsible for the development and execution of an aligned pan tumour confidence tactical plan including:
- Medical Education Plans, to enable clinicians to understand, accept and where appropriate advocate diagnostic approaches and have the tools to help implement these
- Responsible through the diagnostic and individual tumour leads, for representing AstraZeneca at a variety of scientific and medical forums, to include, as appropriate: medical education forums, scientific roundtables, congresses, and symposia
- Ensuring the alignment of the publication plans to the pan tumour/ diagnostic needs and work with the publications leads to deliver these
- Providing appropriate input and support to overarching plans for KEE development, academic partnerships and scientific collaborations
- Advanced scientific degree (MD, PhD, PharmD)
- Substantial pharmaceutical or relevant medical/clinical experience.
- Medical affairs or medical diagnostics experience in oncology therapy area, including in-market, with regional or global experience also being desirable.
- Proactive, self-starter, capable of independent working and leading groups in a matrix organisation
- Proven track record in product launches with a strong strategic focus
- Understanding of drug development and companion diagnostic and commercialization processes including understanding of outcomes research /payer access processes
- Proven ability to generate, analyze and interpret clinical trial and published data
- Diagnostics/Assay development knowledge and experience
- Ability to manage multiple projects and products simultaneously to ensure timely, on-target and within budget accomplishment of tasks
- The candidate is expected to have strong project management skills and ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams including development, marketing, and health outcomes.
- Good communication and presentation skills in English
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.