Executive Director Global Strategy External R&D Oncology
Salary and benefits: competitive
At AstraZeneca, relentless pursuit is matched with outstanding capabilities to break new ground in science. We have one of the most robust pipelines in the industry, and it’s because of our people. We’re entrepreneurial and deeply collaborative – a winning combination that’s delivering life-changing medicines to patients.
The Executive Director, Global Strategy External R&D Oncology is a member of the External R&D Leadership Team.
This role is part of a concerted global effort to improve and optimize the company’s efforts in Oncology both within and outside the company.
You will report to the VP External R&D and will primarily support them in defining and leading global External R&D strategy with specific responsibilities in implementing this engagement plan in different international regions with main focus on Europe and Asia as well as other emerging markets around the world.
In this role, you will utilize your experience, leadership and extensive expertise in oncology to promote an effective cross-functional work between the main internal business partners in the Oncology R&D (Early Oncology, Late Oncology, China R&D, Japan R&D, Hematology) as well as with the Global Medical Affaires organization to optimally engage external scientific partners, to expand academic scientific collaborations and improve alliances management. You can be based in Gaithersburg, Boston, or Cambridge (UK).
The principal responsibilities of this critical strategic appointment will include the following:
- Closely collaborate with the VP to define specific strategy for external research collaborations.
- Promote cross functional work with the different Oncology R&D structures to clearly identify the scientific gaps and unmet needs for which the company may benefit from external scientific expertise.
- Contribute to the portfolio review of partnerships in Oncology.
- Develop strong collaboration with GMA to ensure accurate alignment in the external engagement strategies and joint actions.
- Develop and execute the strategies and tactics for external scientific collaborations with key external partners, such as academic institutions and collaborative groups in the regional scope (Europe, China and other emerging markets such as Singapore, Japan, etc). Use Strategic Alliance Sites and support PoC strategy in the regions.
- Coordinate the External R&D activities in the regional scope and responsible for the plan delivery for external activities in the region.
- Develop and maintain relationships with investigators at key academic institutions to ensure efficient collaboration and to achieve the highest level of results.
- Contribute to the review of study concepts/proposals received from external specialists and contribute to deliver final research programs on specific areas of interest by working closely with external collaborators and internal cross-functional teams. Participate in monitoring study progress all in accordance with AstraZeneca's requirements and standards.
- Contribute to budget management.
- Actively participate in creating a community of partnership excellence and in activities that embed standard methodologies across the company.
- Maintain compliance with all company compliance and regulatory guidelines governing external interactions.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Advanced degree, PhD and or MD (in sciences) with a track record in pharmaceutical industry and Extensive knowledge of Oncology drug development is required
- Strong evidence of leading cross functional teams working in a matrix organization and demonstrated ability to influence focusing on good communication, passion for customers and working collaboratively and demonstrated ability to influence
- Experience of authoring scientific documents and technical and disease area knowledge to be able to interact with confidence with internal and external partners
- Proven experience in academic partnership excellence; experience building, maintaining and closing external collaborations
- Proven record of excellent negotiation skills and ability to collaborate inside and outside AstraZeneca and comfortable working with senior management
- Ability to assess issues/risks and successfully implement remediation measurements
- Ability to understand contractual agreement structure, terms and obligations and translate the terms in a way understood by senior management
- Critical strategic problem solver and highly analytical; ability to initiate, develop and implement new strategies and processes
- Strong analytical, oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated strong project management and cross-functional team management skills
- Ability to travel internationally
Next steps? Apply now!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.