Executive Medical Director and Global Head of Leukemia Strategy
At AstraZeneca, we win through the science, it’s at the heart of our every success. Every decision is rooted in the limitless possibilities of what science can do. We focus our science in the areas of Hematology-Oncology, Respiratory, CVRM and INA.
We push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines. This purpose underpins everything we do. It gives us a reason to come to work every day. It reminds us why we exist as a company. It helps us deliver benefits to patients and create value for shareholders. It also sets the context for our employees’ activities and the roles of our teams, partners and other collaborators.
AstraZeneca has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Hematology is central to our strategy and our vision for AstraZeneca becoming the leading company in the discovery and development of innovative medicines for cancer patients. Building on the success of Acalabrutinib we have created a stand-alone Hematology group within Oncology R&D that leverages our technology platforms and deep mechanistic scientific activities and brings together all hematology projects and activities into a single group, spanning discovery, early and late development.
At AstraZeneca, we are committed to advancing the science of oncology to deliver life-changing medicines to patients most in need. With a combination-focused pipeline that exploits the power of four scientific platforms (Immuno-Oncology, Tumor Drivers and Resistance, DNA Damage Response, Anti-body-drug Conjugates) to help address unmet clinical needs in a host of cancers, we are motivated by a dedication to the scientific discovery and collaboration that will one day help eliminate cancer as a cause of death. There are many types of cancer disease. For us to be most effective, we've chosen to concentrate on four key disease areas; Lung Cancer, Breast Cancer, Ovarian Cancer and Hematology.
We currently have over 100 Phase 1, 2, 3 and Lifecycle Management Oncology projects in our robust pipeline
As the Executive Medical Director andGlobal Head of Leukemia Strategyyou’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biopharmaceutical companies, we’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways using both small and large molecules. The role can be based out of the following sites in the US (Gaithersburg, MD, New York City, Boston and San Francisco) or in Cambridge, UK.
The Global Head of Leukemia Strategy is a core member of the Hematology R&D Leadership team and will provide scientific, clinical and strategic input into Global Product Teams, Therapeutic Area Strategy and the Oncology Business Unit.
- Identify unmet medical need areas for developing new therapies in leukemia/MDS
- Guide the development plans for AZ assets in leukemia/MDS
- Identify gaps in portfolio for opportunities for BD or in-house drug development
- Collaborate with different discovery groups to create a pipeline of new therapeutics for AML/MDS
- Guide the development of and the conduct of clinical trials in AML/MDS
- Guide preclinical and clinical external collaborations with academic centers and investigators
- Set up and chair leukemia/MDS Scientific Advisory Board Meetings
Essential for the role
- Qualified Physician (M.D. degree or equivalent), Medical specialty and sub-specialty training and certification in Hematology required
- Clinical drug development experience in academic institution or biopharma industry
- Deep mechanistic pre-clinical and clinical expertise in Leukemia / MDS. Expert command of the scientific and treatment landscapes for registered and developmental agents in leukemia / MDS
- Expert knowledge on the patient journey for leukemia and MDS patients, from diagnosis through treatment. Ability to translate that knowledge into strategies to tackle the highest areas of unmet need
- Robust knowledge of and evidence of successful hematology product development based on strong scientific and clinical experience
- Demonstrated understanding of hematology patient selection and stratification including companion/complementary diagnostic development and registration
- Ability to lead and drive progress in a matrix environment
Desirable for the role
- Strong academic, cancer center or industry experience preferred
- Credible with Key External Hematology Experts, and oncology scientific communities
- Internationally recognized as an expert in Leukemia field.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.