Head of Clinical Translational Medicine Laboratory, Oncology, Cambridge UK
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s outstanding skills with those of people from all over the globe.
We are seeking a Head of Clinical Translational Medicine Laboratory, Oncology to join a world-class centre for discovery and development of innovative cancer medicines.
Based at the heart of the Cambridge UK biomedical research community, you will be at the forefront of the evolution of translational science for the oncology group at AstraZeneca. You will have the opportunity to impact an industry-leading portfolio of programs from early
clinical development of novel therapeutics through post-marketing opportunities that support approved targeted therapies!
Major Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
As head of the laboratory team you will be accountable for:
- Leading delivery of biomarker data on clinical trial samples based on the best available science and technologies.
- Measuring target engagement reliably and quantifiably to inform clinical decisions for selecting therapeutically relevant doses and schedules.
- Evaluating key cancer pathway interactions, feedback mechanisms and effects on tumour microenvironment in clinical samples to guide rational drug combinations.
- Assessing potential predictive markers of drug response in human tumours to identify the right patient populations for targeted therapies
- Providing expert interpretation of data, identifying innovative solutions to problems and putting forward plans for future biomarker assays.
- Evaluating and adopting cutting edge technologies for protein, CTC and RNA analysis in clinical trial samples
Skills and experience:
- PhD with expertise in a relevant field or equivalent experience
- Expertise in protein analysis, proteomics methods, CTC and RNA expression analysis
- Strong experience in molecular and cell biology, with experience in assay development for new biomarkers
- Experience in cancer biology with peer-reviewed publications in the field
- Experience of conducting studies for Good Clinical Practice (GCP)
- Proven ability in leading evaluation of novel technologies for biomarker analysis
- Experience in leading teams with proven ability to motivate and develop others
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues both within Translational Medicine and across multidisciplinary teams and able to work well within group/team environments.
Desirable / advantageous:
- Experience in the pharmaceutical industry and the drug development process.
- Expertise in one or more AZ portfolio areas: tumour drivers, hormone receptor signalling, DNA damage and repair, antibody-drug conjugates, immuno-oncology, epigenetics
Next steps - Apply Today!!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.