Global Medical Affairs Head, DDR
Do you have expertise in, and passion for Medical Affairs in Oncology? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the Global Medical Affairs Head, DDR role in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through five key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, HER2 and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide a coordinated approach to building Astra Zeneca’s medical leadership in the DNA Damage Response space, and deliver medical insight into the development and execution of an overall disease area strategy.
- Oversee and support the development and execution of the asset specific integrated medical plans (evidence generation and scientific communications), including global external experts, diagnostics and patient centric activities.
- Partner closely with colleagues in the Markets, Development, early research, Regulatory, Commercial, Access, Health Outcomes and other key functions, and help build alignment on key initiatives including optimal approach to data generation, communication and supporting access.
- Provide oversight of the GMA breast team and GMT(s) and ensure appropriate involvement and consultation of prioritized market teams and regional representatives.
- Accountable for the development and implementation of GMA evidence and confidence building strategies in the DDR Therapeutic Area), ensuring effective collaboration with other key functions within GMA (Medical Excellence, Evidence Generation, Patient Centricity, Strategy and Planning) and regional/marketing company (MC) Medical Affairs (MA).
- Accountable for the evidence generation strategy for all non-indication seeking (in primary intent) evidence generation. This includes interventional and non-interventional studies whether internally or externally sponsored. These strategies are developed in agreement with their respective Global Product Teams (GPTs), and this role is a member of the core GPT
- Accountable for development of overarching medical affairs strategies to demonstrate and build sustainable scientific leadership in the respective therapy area
- Accountable for building and leading a high-performing GMA DDR team, ensuring that resources are used appropriately to satisfy current and anticipated needs of organization, and that the team drives global performance and delivers high medical impact/business value
- Ensures that high-performing Global Medical Affairs Leaders (GMALs) contribute medical insight and expertise to the Global Product Teams (GPT) and product life cycle management
- Ensures that GMALs form and lead effective GMTs (Global Medical Teams incorporating MCs’ medical and HQ functional representatives) for each priority product
- Ensures that each GMT delivers a collaboratively generated, Integrated Medical Affairs Plan (iMAP) including a 3 year planning horizon and high level 10 year outlook
- Ensures that the iMAP strategies are implemented at company level, via the OTF (Oncology Task Force), the MCs, the MAC and the TACU
- Ensures that key performance indicators (KPIs)/key success factors (KSFs) are developed and tracked
- Ensures through GMALs high quality medical affairs input into the development of TPPs for AZ products in development according to medical need and medical practice
- Instills a strong customer service and high-performance culture with a focus on continuous improvement throughout the TA, including a focus on simplicity and delegation of decision making down to the lowest appropriate level
- Manages performance of TA senior managers, identifies development opportunities with IDPs for direct reports and carries out appropriate succession planning
- Ensure that all TA activities are carried out in compliance with AZ standards and standard operating procedures
- Ensures that the needs and capabilities of the MA function are well understood and represented at the global leadership level
- Contributes to the development of the overall TA strategy for the company
- Contributes to the overall global strategy for Medical Affairs, in cooperation with other key functions in GMA and other TA heads.
- Contributes to business development and investor relations activities as required
- Contributes to the overall strategy development and leadership of GMA as required
- MD (or equivalent).
- At least 6+ years relevant experience in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology/medical device or health care delivery industry
- Strong connections to the delivery of healthcare in the assigned TA including established relationships with relevant therapeutic area experts
- Understanding of the complex and evolving Medical Affairs space with insights about trends, opportunities, risks, and an understanding of external stakeholders (payers, patients, physicians)
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.