Global Medical Science Liaison Excellence Director – Oncology
Do you have expertise in, and passion for Medical Affairs in Oncology? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the role in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through five key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, HER2 and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
The Global MSL Excellence Director for Oncology is accountable for ensuring the strategic alignment of MSL activities and the development, delivery and reporting of prioritised MSL Excellence initiatives to strengthen MSL capabilities across AZ regions and affiliate organisations for the Oncology Business Unit. Working in collaboration with the OBU Medical Capabilities teams, Global Medical Affairs Leaders and Field Medical Leaders to provide strategic direction, implement programmes to build Oncology-specific MSL and MSL Leader capabilities, and shape the future field medical role in Oncology.
- Lead the Oncology Field Medical Team (FMLT) to ensure strategic alignment of field medical affairs activities for Oncology and oversee the strategy for MSLs through quarterly production of Field Medical Strategic Plans (FMSPs) and quarterly reporting of activity across business partners in OBU
- Understand the broader picture in the therapy area to evaluate company strategy and priorities in different disease areas
- Represent Oncology MSLs on disease area SWAT to drive excellence in evidence & confidence generation through the prioritised clinical trial programme (ECLIPSE)
- Monitor and report MSL activities and ensure alignment with agreed global Oncology key performance indicators (KPIs) and key quality indicators (KQIs)
- Partner with Oncology Medical Excellence teams to provide strategic alignment of field medical affairs activities
- Active contributor and Member of the Oncology Global Medical Affairs Team (GMTs) working across teams to ensure GMT alignment of FMSP and field medical strategy
- Provide insights to the Global Medical Affairs Leader(s) for Oncology regarding the diverse needs of the Field to support strategic alignment of prioritised initiatives
- Act as the MSL subject matter expert to all AZ global initiatives where Oncology MSLs are implicated. Provide insight, guidance, influence and expertise that ensures global vision for MSL role is well understood
- Conduct ad-hoc analyses on projects and initiatives to proactively escalate issues, propose solutions and modify strategies
- Support the effective and efficient implementation of Global MSL Excellence initiatives that result in valued outcomes and maximum in-country impact
- Advanced degree in scientific discipline (e.g., PhD, PharmD, MD), preferably with Oncology focus
- Experience managing and leading MSL and Medical Affairs teams
- >3 years managing programmes in a team environment
- Strong knowledge of medical strategy, clinical development, and medical science liaison, medical affairs areas
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment
- Experience in head office medical affairs roles
- MSL performance management and outcomes-based reporting
- Design of programmes that focus on managing, leading and coaching high performing individuals and teams
- Clear understanding of the compliance requirements and governing bodies for MSL programmes
- Results-driven with customer-service orientation
- Proven ability to influence without authority
- Strong collaboration skills
- Ability to identify the most efficient and effective way to implement new services
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.