Ethical & Legal Review Manager
Would you like to be a part of a Data Science & Artificial Intelligence (DS&AI) group who has direct strategic impact on drug development, playing a key role in getting medicines to patients?
At AstraZeneca, we are constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a real passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. Here, you’ll have the chance to create a difference in people’s lives every single day.
AstraZeneca is investing in data management and analysis capabilities, through its long-term Growth Through Innovation Strategy.
The DS&AI team collaborates across R&D to drive innovation through data science and AI. Together we seek to:
- Improve our understanding of disease and uncovering new targets
- Transform R&D processes
- Speed the design and delivery of new medicines for patients
The R&D Data Office, within DS&AI, is a key organisation to deliver upon AstraZeneca’s strategy. Data Office operates a central capability, with R&D wide accountability, to ensure that we harness the power of data to drive innovative science. Data Office will govern data, drive data quality and ensure our data is readied for analytics, creating paved-paths for scientists to perform data-driven research, without compromising our legal restrictions or ethical principles.
Sustainable, FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable & Reusable) data is the lifeblood of AstraZeneca as a science-led, pure-play pharmaceutical company and critical for the delivery of the AstraZeneca’s corporate strategy, in which Data, AI and Digital is a foundational value driver for Innovative Science and a potential corporate differentiator.
Under the supervision of the Legal & Ethical Review Director, you will be accountable for designing legal & ethical review processes and the delivery of data assets, for a set of projects, that have been reviewed and tagged for ethical & legal regulation compliance.
- Analyze current-state information related to data assets captured by the Data Discovery team
- Provide Subject-Matter-Expertise related to the legal & ethical review processes involving Informed Consent, legal holds etc.
- Provide input for the design of specifications and optimal processes for:
- legal & ethical review of data
- tagging of data assets as needed after ethical & legal review is complete
- tagging workflow management including optimal refresh schedules and versioning
- automation to enable operational scale-up
- Implement the above-mentioned processes
- Collaborate with:
- IT partners for the implementation of tagging for each data asset type
- Data Provisioning / Science Data Foundation / Data Strategy & Value teams to understand demand for legal & ethical review of data and plan and implement activities in consultation with the Head of Scientific Data Assets
- Data Policy & Data Governance teams to ensure policy and governance needs are planned for and complied with, changes to ICF language are systematically captured and allied review processes updated.
- Continuously improve processes to manage legal & ethical review processes & artifacts to make scientific data FAIR and AI/Analytics-ready. Secure value measurability, and scalability for changes in scope and demand.
- Collaborate with other members of the Data Asset team, Data Office functional units, & the DS & AI community to aid the Data FAIRification process.
Education, skills and experience required
- Relevant degree in Information/Data Science, Computer Science, Informatics, IT, or other related discipline.
- Experience in the pharma and the life sciences sector
- Solid experience in legal & ethical review of data and hands-on implementation processes
- Operational understanding of legal & ethical compliance frameworks, data repositories, data management principles, and analytic tools.
- Extensive experience working with IT partners in the implementation of data tagging projects
- Ability to learn new tools and technologies
- Experience in creating system and user documentation.
- Travel – willingness and ability to travel domestically & internationally.
- Resilience – ability to overcome and motivate others in the face of a changing environment
Next steps - Apply Now
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.