Data Curation Director
Would you like to be a part of a Data Science & Artificial Intelligence (DS&AI) group who has direct strategic impact on drug development, playing a key role in getting medicines to patients?
At AstraZeneca, we are constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a real passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. Here, you’ll have the chance to create a difference in people’s lives every single day. AstraZeneca is investing in data management and analysis capabilities, through its long-term Growth Through Innovation Strategy.
The DS&AI team collaborates across R&D to drive innovation through data science and AI. Together we seek to:
- Improve our understanding of disease and uncovering new targets
- Transform R&D processes
- Speed the design and delivery of new medicines for patients
The R&D Data Office, within DS&AI, is a key organization to deliver upon AstraZeneca’s strategy. Data Office operates a central capability, with R&D wide accountability, to ensure that we harness the power of data to drive innovative science. Data Office will govern data, drive data quality and ensure our data is readied for analytics, creating paved-paths for scientists to perform data-driven research, without compromising our legal restrictions or ethical principles.
Sustainable, FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable & Reusable) data is the lifeblood of AstraZeneca as a science-led, pure-play pharmaceutical company and critical for the delivery of the AstraZeneca’s corporate strategy, in which Data, AI and Digital is a foundational value driver for Innovative Science and a potential corporate differentiator.
In this role you will be accountable for designing and implementing a data curation and harmonization strategy that adds value to data and aids the insight development process.
- Consult with TA teams and functions to collate and assess data and insight generation needs to develop and implement a data curation and harmonization strategy
- Design efficient processes and specifications at a data asset level for:
- Curation of datasets, derived data points etc. from data assets
- Generation of pooled data sets
- Generation of linked data sets
- Data quality assessment & QC processes
- Provide curation-related domain expertise to enable novel use of data for analytics and insight generation projects
- Analyze data standards-related current-state information for data assets captured by the Data Discovery team to inform data curation needs
- Assess data quality of data assets and design data qc and curation processes for implementation
- Collaborate with:
- Data Discovery, Data Asset Management teams to understand internal and external data landscape and design and implement curation processes
- IT partners for the implementation of above-mentioned processes and specifications.
- Data Provisioning / Science Data Foundation / Data Strategy & Value / Data Governance teams to understand demand and plan and implement curation activities in consultation with the Head of Scientific Data Assets
- Data Policy & Data Governance teams to ensure policy and governance related to data curation are planned for and complied with.
- Collaborate with other members of the Data Asset team, Data Office functional units, & the DS & AI community to aid the Data FAIRification process.
- Line-manage a team of Data Curation professionals and create a stimulating, inspiring and rewarding environment that allows them to make a meaningful difference, grow their capability and add more value, and develop their careers in a variety of directions.
Required education, skills and experience
- Relevant degree in Information/Data Science, Computer Science, Informatics, IT, or other related discipline.
- Experience in the pharma and the life sciences sector
- Substantial experience in data curation, data linkage, pooled data sets, etc. in the healthcare space
- In-depth operational understanding of curation methods, common data models, data standards, vocabularies, ontologies etc. and their implementation
- Extensive experience working with IT partners in the implementation of curation projects
- Ability to learn new tools and technologies
- Experience in creating system and user documentation artifacts related to data standards implementation & curation
- Travel – willingness and ability to travel domestically & internationally.
- Resilience – ability to overcome and motivate others in the face of a changing environment
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience in designing and implementing curation plans to add value to data.
- Experience in designing and implementing change management processes involving varied partners.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.