Respiratory and Immunology Science Communications Associate Director
At AstraZeneca (AZ), science compels us to push the boundaries of what is possible. To help transform the lives of patients around the world we are focusing on breakthrough science to discover and develop novel, targeted therapies for many of today’s most serious and complex diseases.
BioPharmaceuticals R&D is one of two R&D organisations, responsible for Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolism and Respiratory and Immunology diseases, and opportunistically driven for Neuroscience and Microbial Sciences. Across our teams, we follow the science through drug discovery and development, and life-cycle management programmes. To put ourselves in the best position to push the boundaries of science, we seek to leverage our drug platforms, which encompass both small molecules, oligonucleotides and other emerging drug platforms, as well as biologics, including immunotherapies, and innovative delivery devices that can offer choice to patients.
Respiratory and Immunology (R&I) is a key therapeutic area for AstraZeneca with inflammation as the common driver. We have a strong heritage in the respiratory market where our vision is to become the industry leader in innovative inhaled and targeted therapies for asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and are now building a presence in immunology and other diseases of unmet need such as idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and cough.
Your role as R&I Science Communications Associate Director will be to strengthen AZ’s reputation for scientific leadership in the R&I space by developing and executing communications strategies targeting priority internal and external audiences, including major congresses and milestones – from disease area understanding to Phase IIb clinical trial results.
Working closely with both senior scientists on the Early R&I Leadership team and project teams, you will amplify our science story in respiratory and inflammation and autoimmune, with a primary focus on the ongoing development of our early clinical stage programmes. You will also provide close leadership / executive communications support to our R&I senior leaders from the R&D organisation.
You will be a key member of the R&D BioPharmaceuticals Corporate Affairs team, with a dotted-line reporting to the Global Head of Respiratory Corporate Affairs.
Your Focus & Challenge
- Development of an external communications strategy to strengthen AstraZeneca reputation as a scientific leader in R&I
- Identify, develop and deliver impactful science content relevant to R&I across our internal and external channels, including trade media, social media and congresses etc, in close collaboration with CA colleagues
- Develop the R&I science social media strategy and presence amongst the pharmaceutical, biotech, diagnostic and academic audiences and advise how to modify and adapt campaigns for maximal reach and impact via other relevant social platforms (blogs, forums, journals and communities)
- Support media/ IR planning with regard to pipeline and R&I scientific leadership messages, including input to global press release for key milestones prior to phase III (including material events, CBRs, investment decisions and publications etc)
- Develop and implement timely and impactful internal communications/ awareness programmes R&I science communications that contribute to employee engagement and brand awareness
- Lead communications planning with regard to partnership deals in early clinical phase, in close collaboration with BD communications
- Develop messaging framework and provide communications support and coaching to R&I Leadership with regard to communicating TA scientific messages
- Showcase and amplify scientific publications relating to R&I clinical pipeline and also highlighting outstanding R&I scientists across our digital platforms.
- Establish measures of success and implement relevant evaluation tools for all communications activities
Your Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- University degree preferably in the life sciences
- Established track record of delivering impactful, content rich communications programmes for the pharma industry across multiple channels and stakeholders with demonstrable measures of success
- Experience of creating and translating scientific / technical content for a broad range of audiences
- Experience of managing and influencing stakeholder relationships at all levels and comfortable delivering alternative viewpoint
- Exemplary written and verbal communications skills
- Experienced social media/ digital marketer with evidence of success across multi-channel campaigns
- Excellent written communication skills, particularly with scientific and complex information
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to present results and influence stakeholder
- Ability to combine strategic thinking with hands on delivery and a strong team worker with high level of personal accountability.
- Good knowledge of the pharmaceutical drug discovery and development process
- Successful background of planning and delivery success
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.