Clinical Programs Portfolio and Capacity Optimisation Lead
Clinical Programs Portfolio and Capacity Optimisation Lead - Early Oncology R&D
Location: Cambridge, UK
Do you have expertise in, and a passion for, Early Oncology Clinical Operations? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the lives of patients living with cancer, in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines, Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we are pioneering new frontiers by identifying and treating patients earlier, working towards the aim of eliminating cancer as a cause of death.
Pioneers of collaborative research we have built an unrivalled scientific community both internally and externally. Fusing academia and industry, we have united some of the world’s foremost medical centres. Working seamlessly and inclusively, together we expedite research in some of the hardest-to-treat cancers.
Our pioneering approach and breakthroughs from studies have enabled us to lead integrated healthcare systems to rethink the way we work. From cancer charities to the NHS, leaders across the industry are requesting to partner with us.
Welcome to Cambridge, one of over 400 sites here at AstraZeneca, providing a collaborative environment where everyone feels comfortable and able to be themselves is at the core of AstraZeneca’s priorities, it’s important to us that you bring your full self to work every day. To help you maintain your best self, here’s a sneak peek into some of the things this site provides for you.
Where Science thrives…Cambridge is one of the most exciting bioscience hotspots in the world, playing a central role in our mission to deliver life changing medicines to patients across the globe.
This role could be located in either the Melbourn Science Park or the Central Cambridge offices.
Located in stunning offices set in 17 acres of landscaped grounds. TheMelbourn Science Park offers an impressive mix of refurbished open plan office space on two floors and a suite of fully furnished conference and meeting rooms. The building benefits from a full height atrium and stunning views overlooking the lake.
Central Cambridge – Located in walking distance from the Train station, you will have access to an onsite gym, restaurant facilities and experience working within a calm and relaxing agile environment, inspired by the University Botanical gardens.
Both sites provide access to a stylish, fully air conditioned fitness centre, an onsite restaurant, Lunch & Learn development activities, all within a bright and spacious environment while utilising the most advanced technology.
Join the team dedicated to Oncology, with an ambition to eliminate cancer as a cause of death. It’s our big vision that unites and inspires us. A place built on courage, curiosity and collaboration – we make bold decisions driven by patient outcomes. Empowered to lead at every level, free to ask questions and take smart risks that write the next chapter for our pipeline and Oncology team.
We are focused on identifying and treating patients earlier, where there is greater curative potential. With the greatest number of early stage cancer trials in the industry, we are getting closer to finding cures every day.
It’s our unique people-first approach that keeps us grounded and inspired to improve outcomes for all. Listening to our patients to evolve with their needs and tailor their medicines.
What you’ll do
We are seeking a delivery-driven portfolio and capacity optimisation lead to manage elements of both resourcing and functional optimisation. Key accountabilities include managing capacity, assignment and talent development of Study Leaders. You will work closely with the Head of Study Leaders and the Senior Group Directors to determine resource requirements for ongoing studies and new study starts. You will be someone with the ability to accurately assess resource needs with respect to clinical studies (based on complexity, delivery model and portfolio prioritisation) and functional requirements. Furthermore, you will need to identify upcoming resource risks/challenges, putting in place mitigation plans where required. In addition you will line manage a number of more junior study leaders in conjunction with managing the hiring of new headcount where need is identified.
Success in this role requires sound knowledge and understanding of managing resource allocation, in particular with respect to study leaders, together with relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry preferably in Early Oncology Clinical Operations.
- Support forecasting of budget and resource requirements based on upcoming CDIDs, in-licensing and study starts, working closely with the Head of Study Leaders, to ensure short term and longer term resource requirements are met
- Expert in utilising central project management and resourcing tools, identifying and actioning areas for improvement of tools in order to maximise efficiencies
- Assigning available resources to projects based on skill type requirements and portfolio prioritisation
- Mitigating critical resource gaps by reallocating resources where applicable
- Monitoring employee utilization to ensure workload is manageable
- Intra- and inter- function collaboration within Early Clinical, with a particular focus on Clinical Programs and Study Operations (CPSO)
- Collaboration with colleagues across Late Oncology and Biopharm colleagues as required
- Line Management of more junior Study Leaders
- Oversee manage and lead where applicable, ongoing process improvement initiatives
- Support in the development and assignment of training packages for clinical program colleagues
- Support onboarding process for Study Leaders, maintaining and updating that process to ensure continual improvement of the onboarding experience
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline, preferably in medical or biological science.
- 7-10 years drug development experience evidenced from a variety of roles
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced changing environment to a positive business outcome
- Experience of managing budgets
- Project management experience
- Demonstrable experience in Study Leadership (minimum 3 years)
- People management experience
- Experience working in Early Oncology
- Demonstrable experience in resource management in the pharmaceutical industry – ideally in clinical operations
- Proficiency in resourcing tools/software
- Experience in coaching and mentoring
At AstraZeneca, we 're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We’re on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what’s next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Don’t hesitate in submitting an application today!
Competitive salary and benefits package available.
The successful candidate will have access to a flexible employee benefits fund, including holiday purchase and flexible time off, pension contributions, Share Save Plans, A performance recognition scheme and a competitive, generous remuneration package.
Closing date: 22nd October 2021
Where can I find out more?
Connect with our recruiter on LinkedIn: Sam Hunter https://www.linkedin.com/in/samhunter1/
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.