Associate Director Compound Management
Passionate scientific leader striving to make a greater impact
Are you a curious scientific leader seeking a role where your expertise can make an extraordinary impact? Join a place built on innovation and creativity. Where different views and perspectives are welcomed and valued. An environment that champions inclusion, and teams that reflect the diversity of the communities that we serve.
You’ll be a leader in Compound Management – a delivery focused team where we collaborate to support projects aiming to impact patients’ lives. We are responsible for the quality assurance, processing and timely provision of chemical compounds to AstraZeneca’s drug discovery projects. We belong in Discovery Sciences – our wider function that applies deep technical expertise in specialist technologies to support the delivery of targets and molecules to the early AstraZeneca pipeline.
We are transitioning our group to our exciting new site at the R&D Cambridge (R&DC) campus and you will get an outstanding opportunity to support the move to our new facilities. You will start work in the AstraZeneca research building based in Cambridge Science Park before transferring to R&DC.
What you’ll do
This position will give you the opportunity to lead a dynamic and enthusiastic team of scientists delivering critical support to projects using automated and digital technologies. Continuous improvement permeates everything we do and you will have opportunities to develop and implement innovative technologies and processes.
We strongly believe that everyone contributes with a unique set of competence. Your passion for the personal development of yourself and members of your team, combined with support from colleagues, mentors and managers, will ensure you are set you up for success.
As an Associate Director in Compound Management, you will:
- Lead a team of lab-based scientists to support projects according to agreed needs and priorities.
- Develop and coach staff to deliver against departmental objectives and build a high performing team.
- Utilize your strengths to make impactful personal contributions to the delivery and productivity of the team.
- As part of the Compound Synthesis and Management Leadership Team, develop the strategic direction of the department, and lead initiatives to deliver the strategic plan, achieve scientific excellence and develop the external reputation of Compound Management.
- Establish successful and productive relationships with local, global and external scientific colleagues and support services to ensure reliable delivery to projects.
- Ensure compliance with corporate policies including Code of Conduct, SHE, operating procedures and Good Laboratory Standards.
Essential for the role
Compound Management is a highly collaborative group, working to tight delivery schedules, so the ability to be comfortable working at a fast, goal-oriented pace, with a team focused approach is crucial to be successful in the role. Furthermore, you have excellent communication skills and a proactive and delivery focused approach. You are passionate about both your own personal development and the development of your team.
We also believe you have:
- A MSc/PhD in a scientific discipline, or equivalent experience
- People management, leadership and communication skills
- A sincere passion for science, technology and innovation
- Management of risk using evaluative judgments in complicated or novel situations
- An understanding of drug discovery
- A strong customer and delivery focus
- The ability to build trusted relationships with internal and external scientific colleagues
Desirable for the role:
- Knowledge and experience of working in a sample management role
- Experience of complex robotic and automated systems, advanced liquid handling instrumentation and laboratory operating systems
There are many opportunities to develop yourself and your career. From our diverse portfolio and teamwork to our cutting-edge innovations – it’s a place for lifelong learning. Ultimately, it’s more than a job. We know that our work impacts people with serious conditions, many of whom have no other alternatives. That’s what drives us – the potential to impact over one billion patients worldwide.
So, what’s next!
If your passion is science and you want to lead and be part of a team that makes a bigger impact on patients’ lives, then there’s no better place to be.
We look forward to find out more about you – make sure you apply before 28th of October.
Where can I find out more?
- R&D Cambridge campus https://www.astrazeneca.com/our-company/our-locations/cambridge.html
- Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
- Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
- Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.