Scientist - Protein Characterisation
At AstraZeneca, innovation is more than just research. As one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies, we’re passionate about providing innovative, effective medicines that make a real difference in areas of healthcare.
We’re investing heavily into a research Centre and headquarters at the Cambridge Biomedical Campus, and we seek to bring together the finest talent from industry and academia. Join us, and you’ll be part of an exciting vision for our industry, making a difference world-wide.
Analytical Sciences operates in a highly cross-disciplinary environment and plays a crucial role in advancing new biopharmaceutical drug projects through the clinic. Central to our work is the detailed characterisation of our protein therapeutics, achieved principally through mass spectrometry and biophysical analysis.
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientist to join our Analytical Sciences group here at AstraZeneca.
- Laboratory-based position supporting the characterization of a broad portfolio of biologics, including mAbs, ADCs, bispecifics, enzymes, mRNA and viruses
- Routine analysis using physicochemical, LC-MS and biophysical methods to monitor potential critical quality attributes in support of upstream, downstream and formulation development
- Method development, qualification, tech transfer and continuous improvement of physicochemical and/or characterization methods
- Analysis, interpretation, write up and presentation of data to analytical colleagues
- Preparation of SOPs and technical reports.
- BS with 5-8 years or MS with 2-5 years of relevant experience in biochemistry, chemistry or biotechnology with a strong understanding of protein chemistry
- Experience using LC-MS or biophysical techniques (CD, DSC, AUC, light scattering) to characterise protein primary, secondary and tertiary structure
- High attention to detail and excellent quality in reporting/presentation of analytical data
- Effective communication and collaboration with colleagues in a forward thinking and cross-disciplinary/cross-functional environment
- Familiarity with lab automation e.g. automated liquid handling (Tecan) and comfortable with using/developing bespoke scripts (KNIME, python, R, Matlab)
- Familiarity with physicochemical methods such as N-linked glycan analysis, chromatography (SEC,IEC, RP), electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE and c-IEF) to analyse therapeutic proteins
- Familiarity of carbohydrate biochemistry, and experience of techniques for characterising and quantifying glycan structures
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.