Data Scientist, Sample Management
Data Scientist, Sample Management
Location: Cambridge Science Park
Competitive Salary & Excellent Company Benefits
The Sample Management department is responsible for the storage and timely provision of chemical compounds to AstraZeneca’s drug discovery projects.
As a Data Scientist in the Sample Management department, you will support strategic decision-making through the provision of data-driven insights. Decisions around process optimisation, sample storage and distribution policies and reduced cycle times throughout Sample Management’s global footprint will be supported through data mining and analysis using, among other techniques, Knowledge Discovery in Databases (KDD). You will be operating in a highly automated and data-rich environment and will need to understand complex schema and how they map onto real world workflows. You will assist in the development of modern approaches to data analysis, such as business intelligence software, dashboards and visualisations, machine learning and AI etc to maintain and further develop our position as a world-leading Sample Management group.
We work collaboratively within a Sample Management team, to provide support within agreed service levels with a strong customer focus. We strive hard to understand what fits customer needs and how to add value through our experience and capabilities. To maintain this position, we actively seek ways to improve our process and exploit new technologies.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
In this position you will be working independently and as part of a small team to help deliver knowledge and value to the operational teams within AstraZeneca’s global Sample Management department.
You will develop in-depth knowledge of the data representation of Sample Management activities and help to drive continuous improvements. You will also be required to analyse large data sets and apply techniques such as data warehousing, data pipelining and data mining.
Other Responsibilities will include
- helping to design and implement data visualisations to provide concise information/support decision-making to operational teams, the Sample Management leadership team and the research community more widely.
- Demonstrating a strong customer focus and ensuring effective delivery by developing a deep understanding of processes supplied by Sample Management, considering user-centric design/user experience principles.
- Evaluating the latest technologies in computer science and assessing their suitability.
- Working closely with internal project teams in the development of unique solutions to meet customer needs.
- Achieving personal scientific visibility through project contributions, internal presentations and publications.
- Ensuring your own work and that of your colleagues is performed in accordance with appropriate Safety, Health & Environment (SHE), quality and compliance standards
- A BSc/MSc in computer science/data science or related with relevant experience.
- Expertise with Standard SQL, experience with PL/SQL.
- Object-oriented programming experience e.g. Java
- Experience with data analysis and knowledge extraction
- A strong work ethic and customer focus
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to identify and implement improvement activities
- A proven passion for science, technology and innovation
- Excellent communication skills with a proactive and delivery focussed approach
- Knowledge and experience of working in a data science role
- Data warehousing and OLAP
- Knowledge Discovery in Databases (KDD)
- Pipelining tools, Pipeline Pilot, Knime or similar
- Business Intelligence/Dashboard implementation
- Data visualisation libraries (HighCharts, AmCharts)
- Java Server Faces/Pages, JPA or Hibernate
- Supervised/unsupervised ML techniques
- NoSQL/Graph database experience
- Digital twin/IoT
If this sounds like the next challenge for you – apply today!
Please apply by submitting your CV by 6 March 2020
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.