Senior Scientist, In Vitro, Oncology Research
At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being
entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality.
We’re passionate about the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we believe we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life.
Are you ready to work on one of the most exciting pipelines in the Oncology industry?
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to push the boundaries of science to change the practice of medicine, transform the lives of patients living with cancer, and to ultimately eliminate cancer as a cause of death. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and haematological cancers.
We are seeking highly motivated Senior Scientists in Immuno-Oncology with deep scientific and technical expertise spanning both in innate and/or adaptive immune cell biology
(including roles with a focus on T cells, NK cells and/or myeloid cells) with a track record of scientific excellence to join our team in Cambridge, UK. As a Senior Scientist you will be a key member of a team focused on supporting immune-oncology projects through the drug
discovery process. You will bring your theoretical and practical expertise in immunology to
establish assay systems and deliver datasets that will have direct impact on
immune-oncology research projects.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Working in this laboratory-based position within the Immuno-Oncology Research group you will develop, design, conduct and analyse in vitro experiments to assess the function of our candidate drugs and help to dissect the mechanism of action of novel therapeutics targeting the immune system for cancer therapy. You will also review emerging literature and internal data to help in identifying new potential targets and contribute to target validation activities.
A strong foundation in immunology / immuno-oncology, and depth of expertise in techniques for the analysis of immune function and phenotype is essential for this role. As a highly
organised, self-motivated individual with a strong lab/practical background, you will stay up to date with relevant technical and intellectual scientific expertise in tumour immunology and have a genuine passion for this field of research!
- A PhD, or equivalent experience, in immunology and/or immuno-oncology.
- Experience of a range of in vitro skills for the analysis of human immune cell function e.g. multiparameter flow cytometry, ELISA, primary immune cell co-cultures, molecular biology skills including transcriptomic, assessment of intracellular signaling and generation of engineered cell lines
- Strong interpersonal, influencing, negotiating and collaboration skills together with evidence of having used these to support problem solving and delivery in a collaborative environment.
- Depth of understanding and enthusiasm for immunology and immuno-oncology
- Proven track record of success in your research
- Data processing, statistical analysis and interpretation.
- Experience preparing written scientific reports (e.g. manuscripts) and oral presentations (e.g. slides, posters).
- We would encourage applications from candidates who have experience in the evaluation of immune function and in the application of complex immunological assays.
- Expertise in field of T cell exhaustion, tumour myeloid and/or NK biology
- Experience with visualizing/quantitating high content multi-parameter flow data and evaluation of transcriptomic datasets
- Experience working with patient-derived tumours/TILs an advantage
- Knowledge of the drug discovery process
- Publications in top tier scientific journals
Closing date for applications: 17th July
Next steps, Apply Today!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.