CVRM Science Communications Associate Director
At AstraZeneca, we make a difference every day by delivering life-changing medicines to millions of people worldwide. Our purpose is ambitious and so is our approach. Becoming a more agile and creative company means building an inspiring culture where we celebrate bold thinking. We are curious, creative, and open to new ideas. Join us and become part of an extraordinary place to work!
BioPharmaceuticals R&D is responsible for Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolism (CVRM), Respiratory diseases, and opportunistically driven for Neuroscience and Microbial Sciences. We follow the science through drug discovery and development and life-cycle management programmes. To put ourselves in the best position to push the boundaries of science, we seek to leverage our drug platforms and creative delivery devices that can offer choice to patients.
CVRM is a key therapeutic area for AstraZeneca. Our ambition is to identify and address the root causes of CV, Renal and Metabolic diseases to stop progression, reverse the natural course of disease and even cure disease. Our R&D teams are critical to achieving this ambition.
Could you be our next CVRM Science Communications Associate Director, strengthening our reputation for scientific leadership in the CVRM space? You will do this by developing and executing communications strategies targeting priority audiences including major congresses and breakthroughs.
Collaborating with our dedicated senior scientists on the CVRM R&D Leadership and Project teams, you will strengthen our science story in respiratory, inflammation and autoimmune with a primary focus on the ongoing development of our early clinical stage programmes. You will also provide executive communications support to our CVRM senior leaders from the R&D organisation.
You will be a key member of our dynamic R&D BioPharmaceuticals Corporate Affairs team, with a dotted-line reporting to the Global Head of CVRM Corporate Affairs.
What you will do:
- Develop an external communications strategy to strengthen AstraZeneca reputation as a scientific leader in CVRM
- Identify, build and deliver meaningful, impactful CVRM science content across our internal and external channels, including trade media, social media and congresses etc, collaborating closely with the business area
- Develop the CVRM science social media strategy and presence amongst the pharmaceutical, biotech, diagnostic and academic audiences and advise how to modify and adapt campaigns for maximal reach and impact via other relevant social platforms (blogs, forums, journals and communities)
- Support media/ IR forecasting of pipeline and CVRM scientific leadership messages, including input to global press release for key achievements prior to phase III (including material events, CBRs, investment decisions and publications etc)
- Develop and implement timely and impactful internal communications/ awareness programmes CVRM science communications which positively contribute to employee engagement and brand awareness
- Manage communications planning with regard to partnership deals in early clinical phase, in close collaboration with BD communications
- Build messaging framework and provide communications support and mentoring to CVRM Leadership relating to communicating scientific messages from the therapy areas
- Showcase and strengthen scientific publications relating to CVRM clinical pipeline and also highlighting outstanding CVRM scientists across our digital platforms.
- Establish measures of success and implement relevant evaluation tools for all communications activities
What you need:
- Bachelor’s degree minimum, preferably in the life sciences
- Track record of delivering impactful, content rich communications programmes for the pharma industry across multiple channels and partners
- Expert social media/ digital marketer with evidence of success across multi-channel campaigns
- Excellent communication skills, with proven record of building and translating complex scientific and technical content for a broad range of audiences
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to present results and influence partners
- Ability to combine strategic thinking with hands on delivery and a strong team worker with high level of personal accountability.
- Good knowledge of the pharmaceutical drug discovery and development process
- Successful background of planning and delivery success
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.