RIA Science Communications Associate Director
At AstraZeneca, we make a difference every day by delivering life-changing medicines to millions of people worldwide. Our purpose is ambitious and so is our approach. Becoming a more agile and creative company means building an inspiring culture where we celebrate bold thinking. We are curious, creative, and open to new ideas. Join us and become part of an extraordinary place to work!
BioPharmaceuticals R&D is responsible for Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolism (CVRM), Respiratory diseases, and opportunistically driven for Neuroscience and Microbial Sciences. We follow the science through drug discovery and development and life-cycle management programmes. To put ourselves in the best position to push the boundaries of science, we seek to leverage our drug platforms and creative delivery devices that can offer choice to patients.
Respiratory, Inflammation and Autoimmune disease (RIA) is a key therapeutic area for AstraZeneca. We have a strong heritage in the respiratory market where our ambition is to become the industry leader in innovative inhaled and targeted therapies for asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and to build presence in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and cough.
Could you be our RIA Science Communications Associate Director and strengthen our reputation for scientific leadership in the RIA space? You will do this by developing and executing communications strategies targeting priority audiences, including major congresses and achievements.
Collaborating with senior scientists on the RIA R&D Leadership and Project teams, you will amplify our science story in respiratory and inflammation and autoimmune, with a focus on the development of our early clinical stage programmes. You will also provide leadership / executive communications support to our RIA leaders.
You will be a key member of the R&D BioPharmaceuticals Corporate Affairs team, with a dotted-line reporting to the Global Head of Respiratory Corporate Affairs.
- Develop a communications strategy to strengthen AstraZeneca reputation as a scientific leader in RIA
- Identify, build and deliver impactful science content relevant to RIA across our internal and external channels, including trade media, social media and congresses etc, collaborating with CA colleagues
- Develop the RIA science social media strategy and presence amongst the pharmaceutical, biotech, diagnostic and academic audiences and advise how to modify and adapt campaigns for maximal reach and impact via other relevant social platforms (blogs, forums, journals and communities)
- Support media/ IR planning with regard to pipeline and RIA scientific leadership messages, including input to global press release for key milestones prior to phase III (including events, CBRs, investment decisions and publications etc)
- Develop and implement timely and impactful internal communications/ awareness programmes RIA science communications that contribute to employee engagement and brand awareness
- Lead communications planning around partnership deals in early clinical phase, in collaboration with BD communications
- Develop messaging framework and provide support and coaching to RIA Leadership regarding communicating Therapy Area messages
- Showcase and amplify scientific publications relating to RIA clinical pipeline and also highlighting outstanding RIA scientists across our digital platforms.
- Establish measures of success and implement relevant evaluation tools for all communications activities
What you need:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in life sciences
- Track record of delivering impactful, content rich communications programmes for the pharma industry across a variety of channels and stakeholders with proven success
- Experience of creating and translating scientific / technical content for a broad range of audiences
- Experience of building and influencing relationships at all levels and comfortable delivering alternative viewpoint
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills, particularly with scientific and complex information
- Expert social media/ digital marketer with evidence of success across multi-channel campaigns
- Analytical mindset with the ability to present results in an influential way
- Ability to combine critical thinking with hands on delivery and high level of personal accountability
- Good knowledge of the drug discovery and development process
- Successful background of planning and delivery success
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.