Global Head Systems Medicine
Global Head Systems Medicine
Clinical Pharmacology & Safety Sciences
All global CPSS locations
Cambridge / Gothenburg / Gaithersburg / Waltham / South San Francisco
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality.
The new Clinical Pharmacology & Safety Sciences (CPSS) function will strengthen TA- alignment across clinical pharmacology and safety to improve patient-centric approaches in clinical development. By having a centralised preclinical and clinical bioanalysis and biomarker capability will help maximise speed, efficiency and quality. Bringing together new modalities and biologics expertise under one organisation will maximise discovery, development and regulatory leadership. Building world-class ML/ AI capabilities and systems pharmacology will enable to build an organisation to meet our future innovation needs.
The Global Systems Medicine lead will be accountable for leading a team of up to thirty (internal and external FTE) systems modelers that span pharmacologic, safety and physiologic based modelling in both the preclinical and clinical development space. This individual will be the accountable interface with relevant partner functions within BioPharm and Oncology including CPQP TA leads, DMPK therapy area heads, safety sciences, clinical development TA’s and regulatory, as well as all other relevant stakeholders. In this role the incumbent will be accountable for the development of platform strategies including systems models, PBPK models and meta-analysis to impact decision making across the discovery to development continuum in addition to infrastructure to support the platforms. This individual will support the head of Clinical Pharmacology (CPQP) in functional management and strategic initiatives.
- Accountable lead for a group of systems pharmacology modelers to deliver platform approaches that impact portfolio decision making.
- Accountable to set the strategy for impact on drug development decision making for pharmacologic systems modelling, safety systems modelling, physiologic based systems modelling and model based meta analysis modelling.
- Accountable to manage key external academic and CRO partnerships
- Accountable for the quality and scientific input into projects relevant to their TA
- Represents the Clinical Pharmacology function in TA specific governance
- Accountable for any specific systems pharmacology strategic initiatives
- Responsible for developing an inclusive culture in their group and driving scientific innovation.
- Supports the Head of Clinical Pharmacology in development of strategy and other functional tasks
- Accountable for other specific cross functional management aspects dependent on experience
- Represent Clinical Pharmacology in discussions with stakeholders and other departments and ensure collaboration with partner functions
- Manage salary, allocation of bonuses, promotions for team members
- Promote a culture of life long learning and ensure that all members of the team have the right knowledge/education for their activities
- Ensure that the work of the section is performed to the highest quality and in accordance with compliance processes
- Extensive experience of drug development
- Subject matter expert in systems modelling
- Externally recognised as a key opinion leader in clinical pharmacology applied to systems modelling, PBPK modelling and model based meta analysis with a significant publication record
- Proven ability to drive innovation in clinical pharmacology in systems medicine
- Experience of line management/leadership of skilled professional scientists
- Experience of setting and implementing strategy
- Proven ability to work across regions, functions and cultures and gain buy-in and consensus from others.
- Leadership behaviours consistent with AZ values
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.