Immunology Medical Head (Global) – BioPharmaceuticals Medical
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As the Immunology Medical Head, Global Medical, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
In order to accomplish our goals and enable the best patient outcomes, we look for AZ medical network leaders to have five (5) core capabilities and act as role models to our AZ values. These capabilities include: Track record of building and maintaining a deep and continued connection to Medical Practice/healthcare delivery Collaborative/matrix management skills with a focus on leading diverse groups (e.g., cultural, geographical, functional) to achieve excellent results in shared goals. Well-developed communication and influencing skills with the ability to distill complexity down to what matters to our stakeholders. Strong financial/budget and project management skills. Business acumen.
We are seeking a candidate who has strong technical, scientific and medical knowledge of the brand to drive understanding of the medical strategy across the organisation and to lead medical activities for the brand including advisory boards and symposia to advance clinical practice.
Reporting directly to the VP of Respiratory, BPM, you will be charged with delivering ambitious medical strategies for a specific immunology biologics product. As the Head of Immunology, candidate should have significant experience in management of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and would thrive on proactively engaging internal and external leaders. S/he is accountable for the development and execution of the integrated medical affairs plan, including TA Strategy, Evidence Plans, Medical Transformation Initiatives, business development, interaction with the science units, life cycle management, labeling, and externally sponsored research. You will lead a team, that through the Global Product Team (GPT), will execute the medical strategy globally. The role entails leveraging high impact clinical evidence and medical materials as well as demonstrate world-class scientific engagement with external experts and other key customers.
- Designs and manages the implementation of the Medical BioPharmaceuticals product strategy globally and regionally
- Working with the VP Respiratory, BPM, create and develop the strategic direction, business/resource planning, and therapeutic strategy in immunology
- Pro-active member of the BPM LT, where you will assist TAVP with portfolio strategy and collaborate with other brand heads.
- Accountable for supporting effective launches and gathering customer insights, evidence gaps, publications plans, through the Global Medical Team (GMT).
- Cross-functional leadership and collaboration across all Medical BioPharmaceuticals functions (e.g. Strategy & Operations and Medical Evidence) and the Global Product Team (commercial, R&D, regulatory, biostatistics etc)
- Closely follows medical developments within Therapeutic area and disseminates new information to transform clinical trends and emerging data into new plans
- Manage and develop direct reports and deployed resources (Sr. MAL, MAL, and other functional team members.
- Liaises with the internal and external medical community, including collaboration efforts with a pharmaceutical partner.
- Delivers medical plan that drives successful launch of innovative and differentiated new medicines within the TA
- Accountable for engaging and cultivating relationships with leading global KEEs to gain: contribution/ participation in advisory boards, greater understanding of the therapeutic area and insights into unmet patient needs
- Represents AZ at scientific and medical forums, including medical education forums, scientific roundtables, congresses, and symposia
- Ensure team effectively Science Advisory boards, accurate medical promotional materials and communication prior to submission to (GMQA Global Medical Quality Assurance) for the final approval.
- Ensuring the alignment of the publication and medical evidence plans to the Medical Strategy and Medical plan
- Ensures effective management of TA Medical BioPharmaceuticals budget for defined activities within the assigned target
- Advanced degree required (MD, PhD or Pharm D, MSc or equivalent)
- Strong expertise in rheumatology
- Experienced in global Medical Affairs or similar function and working cross-functionally across a large product team
- Strong technical knowledge
- Strong demonstration of strategic and medical leadership prowess at therapeutic area and/or senior leader meetings
- Demonstrated track record in delivering new initiatives, capabilities and leading large scale impactful medical initiatives desired
- Demonstrated success in building and executing multi-year strategic roadmaps highly desired
- Experience leading teams with a track record of delivering results in a complex environment
- Strong working relationships with Global leaders in Respiratory medicine, including KEEs, professional societies, pharmaceutical companies
Skills and Capabilities:
- The knowledge of drug development regarding preclinical, pharmacokinetic, dose-response, and Phase 3 development is essential to provide quality assessment
- Proven ability to create bespoke strategy and mobilise an organization to execute
- Strong executive presence and ability to work collaboratively with global executive teams and leadership
- Experience of presenting to senior leadership; persuasive oral and written communication skills, including the ability to develop and deliver executive presentations
- Proven ability to collaborate with internal and external colleagues in various geographies, cultures, roles, and hierarchic levels – enterprise leadership mindset
- Understanding of the complex and evolving Medical Affairs space with insights about trends, opportunities, risks, and an understanding of external stakeholders (payers, patients, physicians)
- Ability to manage overall business and medical priorities while also being able to actively engage in more detailed execution discussions
- Ability to fluidly flex between high level strategy and detailed tactics as required
- Strong analytical mind-set and ability to quickly assess large amounts of information and distill into key messages and actions
- Integrity and high ethical standards
- Experience launching new products (within Rheumatology or biologics TA preferred)
- Experience advising on business development opportunities
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.