Advanced Analytics Leader
Location: Luton, UK
At AstraZeneca, we're not afraid to do things differently. We're resetting expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, ground-breaking and cutting-edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together
AstraZeneca is organized around two core business units, BioPharmaceuticals (BBU) and Oncology. The BBU focuses on development and commercialization of AstraZeneca’s Respiratory, Cardiovascular, Metabolic, Renal, and Infectious Disease therapeutic areas.
Global Insights, Analytics & Commercial Excellence (GIACE) is a strategic function, critical for enabling success in the growth of the BBU business. Our ambition is to build an industry-leading organization, empowering our Commercial teams through the generation of compelling evidence and insights, while ensuring they have the tools and skills to deliver impactful launches that change the practice of medicine for the benefit of patients.
The aim of the Insights & Analytics Center of Excellence is to establish industry-leading capabilities across the core areas of analytics, forecasting, reporting, business planning, and insight capabilities. It will demonstrate, reapply, and advance best practices in capabilities and operations from Global and US more broadly across geographies. In the area of advanced analytics, the ambition is to accelerate the development and application of advanced analytic methodologies such as machine learning and artificial intelligence to solve business problems. The CoE also seeks to scale and deploy these capabilities in a highly efficient manner so that continuous innovation can be pursued.
As an Advanced Analytics Leader at AstraZeneca, you’ll play a pivotal role in channelling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. The Advanced Analytics Leader is responsible for providing analytic expertise and delivering business insights to the Commercial organization. This particular role is focused on ex-US markets, with particular focus on Europe, China, and Japan.
The Advanced Analytics Leader will require a high level of proficiency in designing and developing customer predictive and prescriptive analytics utilizing primary and secondary data, as well as demonstrated ability to execute and implement analytical solutions in support of business opportunities and risk assessment, customer segmentation and targeting, Promotion Response & Return-On-Investment analytics and Optimal Resource/Budget allocation across diverse Sales and Marketing channels, Smart Business Experiments (Test & Learn), Market Simulation & Patient flow modelling.
You will be a multifaceted leader who can partner with country-specific Commercial teams and the Advanced Analytics Lead, Senior Director to pioneer and embed leading-edge analytic techniques, and generating local market knowledge which lead to outstanding fact-based decision-making. This person will work closely with senior leaders, the country-level Brand Team, Managed Markets, Sales, Forecasting, and other cross-functional business partners. This is a hands-on analytical role.
You will have marketing and research experience coupled with deep quantitative technical skills and outstanding communication skills. You will be both technically sound and also have the ability to be a proactive internal consultant, adding value to AstraZeneca's commercial organization beyond their analytical prowess through their understanding of secondary data, industry knowledge, and track record of innovative and impactful decision support.
- Develop a deep understanding of internal customers' data and analytical needs focusing on the customer-facing model leadership.
- Champion the use of local customer insight in strategic and resourcing decisions across the business.
- Collaborate with the US Sales Force Operations to ensure success of key business processes and coordination on joint initiatives
- Instills a culture of continuous improvement, testing, and deployment of new capabilities for the business.
- Develop innovative analytical practices to build and sustain bold advantage.
- Solid experience in application of advanced methods and statistical procedures on large and disparate datasets, specifically:
- Statistical Analysis & Modelling: Design of Experiments, Time Series, Regression, Applied Econometrics and Bayesian methods.
- Data Mining, Predictive Modelling & Machine Learning algorithms.
- Optimization & Simulation.
- Recent experience and proficiency with SAS/Base, SAS/Stat & SAS/ETS. Working knowledge of SAS/OR and SAS/Enterprise Miner considered a plus.
- Working knowledge of SQL, R, Python and big data technology - Hadoop ecosystem (Cloudera distribution - Impala, Hive, Hbase, Spark, MapReduce etc.,).
- Working knowledge of data visualization – Qlikview, MicroStrategy, Tableau, D3js or similar tools.
- Experience in MS Office products - Excel and PowerPoint skills required.
- Proficiency in manipulating and extracting insights from large longitudinal data sources, such as Claims, EMR and other patient level data sets.
- Expertise in leading and analysing a range of large, secondary transactional databases is required.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Quantitative Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required in one of the following or related fields: Engineering, Operations Research, Management Science, Economics, Statistics, Applied Math, Computer Science or Data Science. An advanced degree is preferred (Master’s, MBA or PhD).
- Experience gained in Pharmaceutical / Biotech / Healthcare analytics or secondary data analysis. CV, Renal and/or metabolic disease experience is a plus.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.