Procurement Associate Director -Study Management
AstraZeneca is now recruiting an Associate Director Study Management to join R&D Procurement. The position is located at one of AstraZeneca’s vibrant R&D sites in Gothenburg, Sweden; Gaithersburg, USA; or Cambridge, UK.
As AstraZeneca launches the Growth Through Innovation strategy, we have created a single R&D Procurement group that will support the two new integrated R&D units – Oncology and Biopharmaceuticals (Respiratory, CVRM and INA). These units have responsibility for the value chain from discovery through to late-stage development, enabling rapid acceleration of promising early-stage assets and life-cycle management programs. The new R&D structure is designed to help us build on this proud legacy of scientific contribution, and ensure we are positioned to continue to translate our innovative science into even more life-changing medicines for patients.
The role is accountable for line managing a group of Global Procurement Managers and delivering the Study Management category family (outsourced Healthy Volunteer, Patient Studies (Ph1-3) and Patient Recruitment & Monitoring services). The role reports to the Director Clinical trials and is also expected to take on functional level leadership activities.
- Accountable for designing, and implementation of category, region or market strategies to optimize business efficiency.
- Accountable for category management either globally, regionally or locally including strategic sourcing, SC&I, contract and risk management.
- Accountable for developing and maintaining expert knowledge of respective global supply markets, competitors and product innovations.
- Works with Procurement in understanding the global spend and identifying opportunities to increase quality and improve value for money. Facilitate implementation of procurement change initiatives within category to improve business performance.
- Accountable for managing the team, resources, and category targets through direct reports. Manage overall portfolio and all direct reports performance globally.
- Leads, coaches and develops professional aspects of Procurement team members
- Establishing and developing a team by attracting high calibre talent from within and outside the organization and providing appropriate opportunities and support
Business & Supplier Engagement:
- Develop an extensive understanding of customer needs and the business environment. Build strong relationship with customers and ensure customer satisfaction.
- Work with the Strategic Intelligence team to perform procurement reporting and analysis of management information to identify potential improvement opportunities as well as identification of innovative procurement solutions that provide cashable savings and process efficiencies for the organization.
- Address Supplier issues to ensure the highest level of service delivery. Maintains contractual and business relationships with Suppliers to the highest standards.
- Fosters trusted relationships with vendors to achieve better pricing and quality of services
- Conduct annual peer reviews of category, region or market strategies
- Plans and reviews the performance of Procurement and other function teams within area of responsibility
- Directs new initiatives and improvement programmes aimed at ensuring compliance, continuous improvement, technical excellence and improving cost-effectiveness
- Leads, defines and gains approval of business needs and the translation of these needs into specific resource requirements
- Develops senior level relationships in order to resolve issues, optimise business performance and develop future improvement opportunities
- Instil the highest standards of compliance and ethics consistently across AZ
- Degree level qualification
- Thorough knowledge of pharmaceutical industry, specifically clinical development
- Expertise in at least one area of Procurement or relevant R&D experience.
- Proven leadership experience
- Communication skills and ability to influence others
- Comfort with risk and ambiguous situations
PLEASE NOTE: THIS ROLE IS STILL LIVE AND ACCEPTING JOB APPLICATIONS
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.