Data Solutions Lead, Associate Director
As a Data Solutions Lead you will lead the team of solution architects/data engineers to deliver data solutions that support both the business and IT strategy. You will partner with our internal customers to develop technical architecture and own solution delivery. You have strong technical depth, business aptitude, and the ability to lead in-depth technology discussions, articulating the business value of the solution, and shared services. Strong communication and interpersonal skills are required for engaging with Enterprise Architects, Technical Architects, Cloud Architects, Engineering teams, Project managers, Product owners, Directors and VPs.
We are looking for a Data Solutions Lead to enable our teams in delivery of Business Intelligence and Data projects to our internal customers. We are looking for people with the right mind-set and attitude who strive for close, collaborative, and empowered working environments, where individuals and teams can flourish
The primary accountability will be working with BI, Data and Automation leadership team, architects, Data and Analytics architects in CFIT teams in delivering data solutions, and development of an integrated BI technical strategy and roadmap for the enterprise. Focus will be on how to rapidly build internal capability (on/off shore, IT/business) and source technology to meet growing business expectation on how BI can deliver better insights from Data.
As part of this role we expect significant external due diligence to ensure we are current in the BI Architecture space as well as liaising across the AstraZeneca (AZ) portfolios to demonstrate innovation and investments in other parts of business. In addition, the individual will play an oversight role on Big Data, Data Science, BI Fabric in the SSS, coaching team members on approaches, advising projects on application of big data and data science capability as required.
The role holder should deliver tangible and measurable value to IIS, SSS and CFIT partners by advising, prototyping and delivering BI solutions. Lastly, you will also operate, as needed, in a hands-on capacity, as part of the delivery of BI solutions within projects.
The role will report to, and be supported by, the BI, Data and Automation capability lead of Software Shared Services (SSS) and will work across the SSS organisation, primarily focused on BI/Automation solutions.
- You will partner and develop a BI and data engineering technical strategy and roadmap, working with business, architecture and D&A leaders
- You will be responsible for identifying areas for innovation, develop business case in alignment with BI and Data Leadership team and demonstrate value through prototyping and delivery of solutions
- Track external innovation, you will find opportunities and advise and guide on investments / vendors / partnerships (academic & commercial)
- You will be able to develop skills and raise awareness across IT teams on new advancements in the BI and Data domains
- You will support the delivery of the strategy by advising BI projects implementing solutions on standard methodology and technology application, and the oversight/delivery of enabling BI platform capability.
- You will collaborate closely with CFIT architects on data and technology architectures/ investments.
- As needed, hands on delivery of BI solutions within projects.
- You will lead methodology, best practice, tooling, documentation and overall continuous evolution of capability
- Manage a global team of Data professionals spread multiple timezones.
- Strong BI and Data Architecture experience including strategy definition and execution
- Big Data/Data Science experience
- Strong external network and awareness in BI and Data domain
- Experience of a range of Analytics architectures: traditional warehousing, Distributed computing (Hadoop), NoSQL, virtualization, semantic web, data streaming etc
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience supporting and working with multi-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
Areas of specialization will include:
- Big Data Technologies – Hive, Impala
- Cloud computing and services (AWS / AZURE / GCP)
- Business Intelligence, Data analysis and design of KPI/Measures/Metrics
- ETL and ELT concepts, principles and implementations
- Data Virtualization concepts, principles and implementations
- Data and information Management
- Data Engineering
- Master Data Management
- Meta Data Management
- Data Archival
- SAP Business Objects, Qlikview/Qliksense, MicroStrategy, Thoughtspot, PowerBI
- Oracle, SQL Server, Redshift, SAP HANA
- Agile development (SAFe, SCRUM)
Behaviour and skills
- Mental Agility: critical and fast thinker, comfortable with complexity and making connections that are understandable for others – Breadth and Depth of thinking - Problem solving.
- Adaptability: Learner mindset; demonstrated ability to take risk and be successful in different environment. Entrepreneurship. Comfortable with ambiguity and unpredictability. Forward looking.
- Self-Awareness: Has personal insight and effectively communicates
- Impact and Influence: strong drive for results - Ability to lead change effectively. Challenge status quo - Ability to impact and influence different profiles and add value.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.