Information Search & Analytics Specialist
Information Search & Analytics Specialist
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than that. At AstraZeneca, we're of our workplace culture, that encourages innovation and collaboration. Here, you are empowered to express your perspectives and feel valued, energized and rewarded for your ideas and creativity.
Are you an analytical and data driven scientist? Would you like to impact how we utilize information to drive the development of new medicines? We have an exciting career opportunity, and we want you to join us!
This opportunity sits within our Business Planning and Operations team in Early RIA - AstraZeneca´s therapeutic area of Respiratory, Inflammation and Autoimmunity. We are searching for a colleague to help our scientists remain up to date with the newest trends in respiratory science and clinical pipelines.
As Information Search & Analytics Specialist, you will provide competitive intelligence information and data to the entire Early RIA organization and you will collaborate with colleagues in several departments.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
In this role, you will push boundaries in semantic querying, natural language processing and intelligent search algorithms in a company which is rapidly developing digital and machine learning approaches across the business. You will manipulate and prepare structured and unstructured information, analyse data, present the findings and explain the insights.
You will also be able to develop new self-service approaches for our scientists, extending our knowledge management platform. Furthermore, you will equip our colleagues in the Translational Science, Biology and Medicinal Chemistry departments with new information science applications, such as intelligent literature alerts or timely patent analysis.
- Utilize your expert knowledge of public and proprietary content sources to develop complex search strategies and analyse information from diverse data sources
- Provide insights with respect to patents and scientific literature, competitive intelligence and pharmacovigilance
- Continuously develop your excellent understanding of diverse and meaningful data sources, their provenance, quality and structure and how to best access them. This will include information sources relating to patents, scientific literature, clinical studies and EMRs/EHRs, and includes being cognizant of the challenges balancing clinical data
- Establishing strong working relationships with scientific leaders to translate complex business problems into the appropriate analysis, including developing robust automated data wrangling approaches
- Apply and develop state of the art technology for information analytics and data science, including working with information architects to implement world-class search ontologies
- Push the boundaries in search algorithm development and utilization in partnership with the Search and Taxonomy team and content strategy team
We believe that you have a good blend of scientific background, strong proficiency in information retrieval and computational skills, as well as experience of successfully applying data science in a scientific environment. You are a proactive, delivery focused person with the commercial ‘nous’ to tailor the analytics approach to the business context and needs to achieve efficient results for Early RIA.
To be successful in this role, you need to have a curious attitude with a constant thrive to take up new knowledge such as data wrangling, modern semantic approaches, machine learning, model building and statistical analysis.
- PhD or MSc in Medicine, Biology, Chemistry or equivalent area
- Education or proven experience in Computer Science, Mathematics or related quantitative field
- Good understanding of the Drug Discovery process and familiarity with key information science sources such as patents, literature, clinical trials, drug pipeline, grants and deals
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including communicating searches and results with non-technical colleagues
- Skills in search query development and ability to integrate information from multiple sources and prepare it for analysis through basic data processing, data cleaning and data transformation
- Knowledge of analytical techniques and linguistic approaches for deriving knowledge from unstructured text including auto-tagging and auto-classification
- Experience and knowledge of visualization tools (e.g. R, Spotfire)
If you are ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table - apply today!
Welcome with your application no later than December 15th, 2019.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.