European Medical Affairs Leader – Rare Disease
This is a field-based role with a preference for the successful candidate to be based out of an EU5 country - UK, France, Germany, Spain or Italy. Territory is Europe.
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
As European Medical Affairs Leader –Rare Disease you'll play a pivotal role in channelling our scientific capabilities to bring an important new therapy in a rare disease setting into clinical practice, making a positive impact on patients' lives.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- The European Medical Affairs Leader –Rare Disease will lead the development of medical strategy and execution of key deliverables to support the European launch of an innovative, new, first in class medicine in paediatric patients with Neurofibromatosis type 1 (NF1) -related plexiform neurofibromas (PN).
- You will lead the European Medical Science Liaison team (total of four FTEs) and work closely with the European Commercial Lead – Rare Disease and Clinical Account Managers to appropriately support key accounts.
- As an integral member of the Global Medical Team (GMT), you will contribute to the development of the Global integrated medical affairs plan (iMAP) that include tactics to support key strategic imperatives for the disease area/brand.
- You will be accountable for the alignment and delivery of all activities of the iMAP pertinent to Europe and associated budgets
- Forge relationships with leaders in NF1 (incl. external experts, academic institutions, and professional societies) as well as other European groups identified as key strategic partners (incl. advocacy and payer groups)
- Collaborate with business partners to ensure alignment of medically appropriate brand strategy, planning and execution
- Play an integral role in the planning and participation of national and regional medical advisory boards and speaker training
- Collaborate with the Global Head of Medical for the product to ensure that the Medical Evidence generation strategy is aligned with business and Medical Affairs’ objectives – and lead on its execution in Europe.
- You will provide medical leadership on the design and execution of HEOR studies, outcomes surveys, etc. in close collaboration with the Health Economics and Payer Evidence team.
- Accountable for the medical accuracy and balance of medical information in promotional material and learning materials for both internal and external use
- You will work closely with the Global Head of Medical for the asset to ensure alignment of European and Global strategies.
- Advanced scientific degree (MD, PhD, PharmD)
- Medical Affairs experience or extensive pharmaceutical or medical/clinical experience
- Track record of successfully developing and executing Medical Affairs Plans both in terms of evidence generation, scientific communications and external expert engagements
- Experience in supporting brands or disease area levels in country, regional or global organizations
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills, interpersonal, and organization skills
- Strong business acumen, including knowledge of European payer landscape
- Proven ability to interact collaboratively with commercial, health outcomes and development colleagues
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally
- Track record in rare disease
- Country/above country launch experience
- Knowledge of relevant Professional Societies and Key External Experts
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.