Due Diligence Director
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing.
You will be accountable for the co-ordination and leadership of due diligence projects in support of transactions. When working through ‘buy-side’ transactions, you will ensure that there is a thorough and detailed assessment of the technical, commercial, operational, and financial quality and, where relevant, legal integrity of the investment opportunities which projects present.
You will ensure that due diligence activity is undertaken with the appropriate degree of independence while being completed in a collaborative and seamless way with colleagues across AstraZeneca.
You will ensure that due diligence activities are planned and conducted in a manner that is consistent with business needs, and the demands and nature of the particular project, whilst ensuring that access to all relevant information is gained and disseminated appropriately across the Business such that risks and benefits associated with investments are identified and incorporated into the Company’s decision-making processes.
When working on ‘sell-side’ transactions, you will coordinate and manage the preparation of assets for sale including virtual or physical data rooms. You will act as the point of contact for purchasers/partners with respect to diligence matters and will lead interactions between AstraZeneca and third parties. In addition, where appropriate, you may be involved in leading elements of integration/transition of acquired/licensed assets for buy-side deals and transition of divested/out-licensed assets for sell-side deals.
- Providing training materials, courses and support materials (guidance notes and checklists) for the wider team members and Business Development colleagues;
- Leading international, senior level project teams for investment and divestment opportunities.
- Maintaining and extending the high standards of excellence in the organisation, in due diligence process and practices, with continuous improvement and refinement in response to changing business needs;
- Working with the relevant Evaluation team to identify the priority risks
- Leading the collation of specific, tailored information/data requests and secure provision from the third party partners and suppliers;
- Leading any on-site visits to third party facilities required;
- Leading global multi-functional due diligence teams (of up to 30-40 people and including teams from external advisors on Legal, Finance and Tax matters for major transactions), setting expectations, modus operandi, reporting requirements and timelines;
- Leading due diligence teams through their interactions with third parties and evaluation/analysis of information/data, ensuring that effort is focused on priority risks;
- Being responsible for the data room (virtual or physical) for divestment activity and hosting third party visits to AZ facilities as required;
- Interpreting findings from due diligence and leading the assessment of impact on the drivers of value in the business case;
- Leading and securing sign-off for, due diligence reports;
- Being responsible for the presentation of findings/analysis to relevant governance bodies and senior partners (potentially including the AstraZeneca CFO and/or CEO);
- Leading post-diligence learning reviews where appropriate.
For successfully concluded transactions, you will also be accountable for:
- Leading elements of integration/transition of acquired/licensed assets for buy-side deals and transition of divested/out-licensed assets for sell-side deals.
- Flexibly offer and provide support to Transaction Directors, contributing as required to large or complex transactions.
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Degree level education;
- Ability to credibly lead a multi-functional technical, corporate finance-oriented group of senior professionals;
- Detail focus and ability to discern key facts and value drivers from large complex sets of data;
- Ability to identify, understand and communicate key issues emerging in due diligence projects;
- Ability to work flexibly and creatively around standard core process and practice while maintaining agreed standards;
- Strong project management skills;
- Demonstrated resourcefulness with the ability to flexibly handle and adapt multiple priorities, resources and project initiatives in a global and regional environment;
- Previous risk management and project control process implementation;
- Experience in working effectively with external parties at senior levels;
- An understanding of the drug development process, intellectual property management and other issues typically associated with global licensing evaluation process;
- Understanding of information management practices, policies and tools;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, negotiation, collaboration and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to anticipate problems and issues
- Ability to act appropriately with complexity, time pressured conflicts
- Complete understanding of the structure, approach and interdependencies of various components of buy side and sell side transactions;
- Experience of active involvement in Due Diligence projects;
- Broad experience in drug development, with experience in different roles and/or at different points in the development cycle (early, late stage, commercial etc) is preferred.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.